Home » Support » 3D Design » Models with multiple parts?
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Models with multiple parts? [message #16674] Wed, 25 August 2010 20:41 UTC Go to next message
avatar Aquillyne  is currently offline Aquillyne
Go to my shop
Can models printed on Shapeways have separate non-connected parts? How does Shapeways handle this?

e.g. could you make a hinge?
Re: Models with multiple parts? [message #16678 is a reply to message #16674 ] Wed, 25 August 2010 21:23 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar TomZ  is currently offline TomZ
Go to my shop
I'm not sure which of these two options you're inquiring about. I think it's the latter one, but I've included an answer for the first one just in case.

Yes, you can upload multiple separate parts and have them printed. You can have all the parts in the same model or in separate models.

If you want to print the hinge assembled: yes, that is possible, but only in select materials. Just upload a model of your hinge in the assembled state. Keep in mind that you need to have some clearance between the parts to keep them from fusing.
Moving parts are possible with the Strong&Flexible, Grey Robust, Alumide, and Detail materials. The clearances needed vary by material.
Re: Models with multiple parts? [message #16748 is a reply to message #16678 ] Thu, 26 August 2010 21:02 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Aquillyne  is currently offline Aquillyne
Go to my shop
Thanks for your response.

But that sounds like magic!

How can you print a SPACE between 2 models! Won't the upper one fall down onto the lower one during printing?!

But you say it's possible, so I'm impressed and thank you!
Re: Models with multiple parts? [message #16752 is a reply to message #16748 ] Thu, 26 August 2010 21:31 UTC Go to previous message
avatar gibell  is currently offline gibell
Go to my shop
Aquillyne wrote on Thu, 26 August 2010 21:02

Thanks for your response.

But that sounds like magic!

How can you print a SPACE between 2 models! Won't the upper one fall down onto the lower one during printing?!

No magic. Empty space just gets filled with fill material. Then it is removed when everything is washed and separated.

Most of my models have many separate parts. This one has 11 separate pieces all crammed together with a 1mm gap between each. Why crammed together? To give a density higher than 10%, which makes it much cheaper.

Check out the movie of the White Strong and Flexible printing:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aBNGnfoGGfQ

[Updated on: Thu, 26 August 2010 21:38 UTC]

Previous Topic:Remove nonmanifold faces
Next Topic:What does Hollowing mean?

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.