Home » Support » 3D Printing » Miniature Bases?
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Miniature Bases? [message #16680] Wed, 25 August 2010 22:41 UTC Go to next message
avatar Nane  is currently offline Nane
Go to all my models
Quick question I had. I would like to get some miniatures printed out from my 3d work. I have seen miniatures with and without bases.

Scenic Base
http://www.shapeways.com/model/136311/sci_fi_military_soldie r.html

No Base
http://www.shapeways.com/model/146516/dragonborn_rogue.html

Large Standard Base
http://www.shapeways.com/model/70128/troll_3_5_inches.html

The miniature without a base is somewhat confusing because it wouldn't stand really well but I guess that gives you the option of mounting it to the base of your choice.

So my question is, or from what I see, that the 3D print machines are fully capable of doing nice bases, even flat bases attached to figures.

My next question is:
Say you gave a small miniature that was 20-30mm tall a nice round base. Would it be possible for the machine to burn my company name on the bottom of the base? I look at some of the things here and they literally seem to be printed on all sides at all angles. This baffles me a bit Shocked as I cannot imagine how the machine turns or hold the figure while being able to literally laser 360 degrees?

So anyway, it looks like bases are fully doable, just wondering if the bottoms of them can be printed on I guess?

Re: Miniature Bases? [message #16681 is a reply to message #16680 ] Wed, 25 August 2010 23:07 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar stonysmith  is currently offline stonysmith
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Putting a name on the base (either bottom or top) is very possible. You could even do custom trophies with winner's names engraved, etc.

I would suggest that you watch a couple of the videos about the process.. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TQoTro9WfbQ

Shapeways does not use a laser to "cut" the models.. instead, they're built up one layer at a time. Almost anything you can imagine.. can be created.
Re: Miniature Bases? [message #16683 is a reply to message #16680 ] Wed, 25 August 2010 23:34 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar crsdfr  is currently offline crsdfr
Go to all my models
RogersX wrote on Wed, 25 August 2010 22:41

My next question is:
Say you gave a small miniature that was 20-30mm tall a nice round base. Would it be possible for the machine to burn my company name on the bottom of the base? I look at some of the things here and they literally seem to be printed on all sides at all angles. This baffles me a bit Shocked as I cannot imagine how the machine turns or hold the figure while being able to literally laser 360 degrees?

When thinking about 3D Printing for the first time, its best you [i]forget everything you thought you knew about how a thing can be made[i/]. There is no limitations in geometry to this technology, at all, whatsoever (aside from those related to material strength itself). If you can imagine it, it can be made.
Re: Miniature Bases? [message #16685 is a reply to message #16680 ] Thu, 26 August 2010 00:04 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Drawn-SteelHero  is currently offline Drawn-SteelHero
Go to my shop
Indeed. Best way to try and get your head round how the printing works is to look at the videos on the various materials pages (usually found at the bottom of the respective page).
The process varies a little for each material, but if you look in particular at the video for WSF printing (second video at the bottom of the page), it'll give you a good idea as to how it works.

Andy
Re: Miniature Bases? [message #16690 is a reply to message #16680 ] Thu, 26 August 2010 02:57 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar clsn  is currently offline clsn
Go to my shop
The models aren't carved out of a larger block by laser, nor are they assembled in some logical fashion like you might expect if it were put together out of smaller components (attach limbs to head, place weapons in hands, etc.) Shapeways objects are *printed*, laid down tiny layer by tiny layer, so things "come into being" in place. That's how there are linked chains with no seams, or balls inside of closed cages. They are built in place. If your model's base design calls for part of it to have letters carved in, they aren't so much carved in as simply left out when that part materializes, so to speak.

We're all trying to explain at length what's probably not that hard to understand. Short answer: yes, they can do it. Shorter answer: try it and see!!!
icon14.gif  Re: Miniature Bases? [message #16691 is a reply to message #16680 ] Thu, 26 August 2010 04:17 UTC Go to previous message
avatar Nane  is currently offline Nane
Go to all my models
Very cool, I see now. For some reason I always think lasers and material blocks when thinking of this technology. Freaks me out getting used to the literal thought, the sky is the limit. Well, actually the limit is what the caster can make when he does the minis in pewter!

But very awesome, thanks for the replies, helps knowing it can easily be done and greatly helps knowing how it is done.

Previous Topic:printing stainless; limits
Next Topic:Multiple object models, merged on upload: Artifacts?

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.