Home » Community » Introductions » Hello all!
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Hello all! [message #16375] Thu, 19 August 2010 00:47 UTC Go to next message
avatar lego  is currently offline lego
Go to all my models
Hello everyone and thanks for letting me play! My name is Mike, I am 39 years old and I am very new to this. I have seen the amazing work you all do and i am chomping at the bit to get my feet wet!

I have, in the past sculpted models in wax and with various epoxy putties and then used them as masters to mold and spin-cast them in pewter. I would love to learn 3d modeling and print masters to mold from. I have quite a few ideas about what i would like to build but i have no idea what software to learn first! I would like to start building some simple mechanical parts, gears, cams and the like to build a machine I have an idea for. Can anyone suggest what software would be best for this purpose? Also apart from the forums here that I have been pouring over, is there a good source for learning how to 3d model or possibly how to design simple machines in software? Thanks in advance!
Mike
Re: Hello all! [message #16380 is a reply to message #16375 ] Thu, 19 August 2010 01:13 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar bitstoatoms  is currently offline bitstoatoms
Go to my shop
I work here
Welcome!

Looking forward to seeing your 3D printed machinery.

SketchUp might be the easiest (free) software to start with.

If you can get your hands on a demo version of Solidworks or Inventor they are more suited to moving mechanical parts as they have gear emulators.

An ambitious start I wish you the best of luck.

Duann

Duann Scott

Re: Hello all! [message #16489 is a reply to message #16380 ] Sat, 21 August 2010 19:04 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar lego  is currently offline lego
Go to all my models
Thanks for the information. While I am waiting for my copy of Solidworks to get here, I am reading the Solidworks Bible. Holy cow that's some dry stuff. I feel as tho I almost need a degree in mechanical design to understand it. Is there a basic book on CAD design that you could recommend that covers the basics and leaves out most of the advanced Jargon based stuff? I feel that the "Bible" is for folks that already have a firm grasp on CAD design. Other than paying $1500 for a 3 day class in this software I would prefer trying to figure it out on my own. Any help would be apreciated!
Thanks,
Mike
Re: Hello all! [message #16561 is a reply to message #16375 ] Mon, 23 August 2010 12:24 UTC Go to previous message
avatar Youknowwho4eva  is currently offline Youknowwho4eva
Go to my shop
I work here
Mike,

I know for KeyCreator, there are some very easy how to books. Are you familiar with CAD at all? I already knew AutoCAD when I started with KC, so I pretty much thumbed through the book looking at how to do what I already knew how to do. Either way, here's the shopping search for SolidWorks for beginners on google. http://www.google.com/products?expIds=17259,25814,25988& sugexp=ldymls&xhr=t&q=solidworks%20for%20beginners&a mp;cp=16&hl=en&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wf

Welcome,
Mike

The Mad Moder
michael@shapeways.com

Previous Topic:Hello from Singapore/USA
Next Topic:Greetings from South Arfica