Home » Support » 3D Design » Blender and Lux materials of shapeways materials?
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Blender and Lux materials of shapeways materials? [message #8758] Wed, 06 January 2010 12:28 UTC Go to next message
avatar VirtualDremel  is currently offline VirtualDremel
Go to my shop
Did anybody create a virtual equivalent of the shapeways materials for blender or luxrender? They would be swell for accurate pre-renderings Smile.

Cheers,

Erik
Re: Blender and Lux materials of shapeways materials? [message #8879 is a reply to message #8758 ] Mon, 11 January 2010 21:09 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar pete  is currently offline pete
Go to all my models
Co-Founder
If so we would be most interested also!
Because then we could AUTOMATE those prerenderings using Blender as a
server tool Smile

Help anyone?

Peter
Re: Blender and Lux materials of shapeways materials? [message #8909 is a reply to message #8758 ] Tue, 12 January 2010 23:11 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar esnoeijs  is currently offline esnoeijs
Go to all my models
A accurate material would be great, and the idea of a render with material added would be pretty cool also.

Personally I use a tweaked version of the material I found here.
http://matrep.parastudios.de/index.php?action=view&mater ial=412-styrox&fc=4

I just scale down the texture to be much smaller to represent the grain of WSF, but it's far from perfect.
Re: Blender and Lux materials of shapeways materials? [message #16064 is a reply to message #8758 ] Sat, 14 August 2010 07:44 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar rbl3d  is currently offline rbl3d
Go to my shop
Haven't tried, but the materials look simple enough. I'll try making one and see.
Re: Blender and Lux materials of shapeways materials? [message #16089 is a reply to message #16064 ] Sun, 15 August 2010 03:44 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar rbl3d  is currently offline rbl3d
Go to my shop
Confused Tried making the strong white material in blender based on the photos. Still not as I wanted it to be. Needs more tweaking. Try making one in lux next.

index.php?t=getfile&id=4540&private=0

Any suggestions?

Re: Blender and Lux materials of shapeways materials? [message #16126 is a reply to message #16089 ] Sun, 15 August 2010 19:26 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar bartv  is currently offline bartv
Go to my shop
Our server renderer runs in Blender, and we've released all our files under a Creative Commons license:

http://shapeways.com/blog/archives/404-Shapeways-releases-Bl ender-rending-files-under-Creative-Commons-License.html

Feel free to explore & improve them! We'd be very happy to check out any contributions (materials, lighting, even new background scenes).

We don't use Lux by the way. I think it would slow our renderer down a lot. It would, wouldn't it?

Cheers,

Bart

[Updated on: Sun, 15 August 2010 19:27 UTC]

Community Manager Europe | Shapeways
Re: Blender and Lux materials of shapeways materials? [message #16130 is a reply to message #16126 ] Sun, 15 August 2010 22:28 UTC Go to previous message
avatar jasolo  is currently offline jasolo
Go to my shop
I have tried the command line (WindowsXP) indicating the path for all the files and I get an error:

Compiled with Python version 2.6.2.
Checking for installed Python... got it!
Error caught, exiting.
(During less than a second I see a small black "Image" window.)

I suppose that the result is the same opening the .blend file with Blender and clicking the Render button (no error this way).

And about the texture, I think the lights used in the template increase the contrast between lit and shaded zones. That helps to see the geometry of the models, but it seems artificial to me in the case of the WSF material. Maybe the material should be tested with a "real" environment, for example:

- Take a photo of a real WSF object in an interior scene.
- Make photos of that scene, without the object, to obtain a Light Probe (HDR image).
- Use the light probe in Blender to test the material and compare the resulting render with the image taken to the real model.

The problem with this technique is that renders take more time than usual (Ambient Occlusion + Raytrace). More info about HDRi and Blender:
http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Blender_3D:_Noob_to_Pro/HDRi

Previous Topic:cutting text out of an object in blender
Next Topic:I NEED HELP FIXING THESE MODELS!!!

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.