Home » Support » 3D Applications » Problem with volume calculation
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Problem with volume calculation [message #16010] Fri, 13 August 2010 07:14 UTC Go to next message
avatar cri_18  is currently offline cri_18
Go to all my models
Hi,
I am a student of Bologna University.
In one of my exams I'm designing a building using Maya 2010. I'm very glad to realize a model of my project using Shapeways.
At the moment, I'm trying to upload my model: I divided it into 2 parts. Performing the upload of the 2 parts separately, the "volumes" are respectively 19.48 cm³ and 19.50 cm³.
Using the "combine" command in Maya to join the 2 parts and uploading in Shapeways the entire model, the volume given is very small (0.02 cm³) even if the model's dimensions are correct (Height 2.3 cm, Width 17.0 cm, Depth 22.0 cm). Moreover the cost amounts to $ 1.53!!
It seems that the value of the entire model's volume is given by the difference of the 2 single parts volume. How it is possible? Do you know where the problem is? I don't really know how to proceed.
Thank you very much for your kind help.
Cristina
Re: Problem with volume calculation [message #16022 is a reply to message #16010 ] Fri, 13 August 2010 12:30 UTC Go to previous message
avatar Youknowwho4eva  is currently offline Youknowwho4eva
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
I work here
What file type did you export to? I remember a discussion of Maya using mm in it's head no mater what was selected in one of the exports. Try loading as mm in shapeways to see if that gives you the numbers you're looking for.

I learned a long time ago the wisest thing I can do is be on my own side, be an advocate for myself and others like me. -Maya Angelou
michael@shapeways.com Community Advocate

Previous Topic:Normals in Blender
Next Topic:Blender problem

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.