Home » Community » Post Production Techniques » Best way to go from shape to resin casting
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Best way to go from shape to resin casting [message #15394] Thu, 29 July 2010 05:15 UTC Go to next message
avatar Digitante  is currently offline Digitante
Go to all my models
I've been planning to create a master for a set of resin casts (I actually need 12), which I'd like to create from a Shapeways original. Which raises 2 questions:

1) Which is the best material for making a casting?

2) Should I create a "positive" (i.e. the shape I want) or a "negative" (the mold)?

Obviously it would save a step to directly create the mold, and I can't see any reason why that wouldn't work, since it's just as easy to create a concave shape as a convex one with this technique. But I haven't done this before, so perhaps there's a reason I'm overlooking.

I'm planning for this to be a single-sided pour mold (simplest kind). This makes sense since the object is essentially a decorative cabinet handle, and the back can simply be flat. (more or less). A core will be suspended in the casting to form the back part of the handle with the threaded part.

Any other considerations from anyone else who's tried this would be welcome too.

[Updated on: Thu, 29 July 2010 05:17 UTC]

Re: Best way to go from shape to resin casting [message #16401 is a reply to message #15394 ] Thu, 19 August 2010 13:50 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar garenc  is currently offline garenc
Go to my shop
Hello,

Start with the cheapest/smoother SW material. Then, use a silicon to pour your mold. And that will go right.

Schuss.

philippe garenc
Re: Best way to go from shape to resin casting [message #16402 is a reply to message #16401 ] Thu, 19 August 2010 14:00 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar baltimore  is currently offline baltimore
Go to my shop
DONT USE White Strong & Flexible! WSF does not take silicon well. use transparent high detail to make a silicon mold, and then pour resin in that. You'll always have the original for when the silicon wears out over time.... Silicon will grab the pores of WSF material and you wont be able to remove it

www.Custom3dStuff.com
Re: Best way to go from shape to resin casting [message #16406 is a reply to message #16402 ] Thu, 19 August 2010 14:23 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar TimberWolf  is currently offline TimberWolf
Go to all my models
Baltimore's reply makes sense!
Thanks for the tip, I'll remember that.

OT: Baltimore, do you stay in Baltimore, USA? Laughing

QX
Re: Best way to go from shape to resin casting [message #16440 is a reply to message #15394 ] Fri, 20 August 2010 05:43 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Digitante  is currently offline Digitante
Go to all my models
Thanks for the responses!
Summary: "Transparent Detail" positive -> silicone negative -> resin result.
Re: Best way to go from shape to resin casting [message #16452 is a reply to message #16440 ] Fri, 20 August 2010 14:17 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar garenc  is currently offline garenc
Go to my shop
Right for the summary.
My opinion is that with transparent detail you will have printing horizontal lines. WSF is sandblasted so surface is softer. If you brush WSF with petroleum jelly, silicon won't penetrate the model surface. Believe me, I do it like this.
Of course, it's sure that Transparent detail material is better in definition.
See you guys.

philippe garenc
Re: Best way to go from shape to resin casting [message #16454 is a reply to message #16406 ] Fri, 20 August 2010 14:40 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar baltimore  is currently offline baltimore
Go to my shop
yes i'm in baltimore, md, usa

[Updated on: Fri, 20 August 2010 14:40 UTC]

www.Custom3dStuff.com
Re: Best way to go from shape to resin casting [message #16455 is a reply to message #16440 ] Fri, 20 August 2010 15:10 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar fx2  is currently offline fx2
Go to my shop
I can confirm "transparent detail" masters work fine for creating RTV silicone molds. I've done several little molds using master parts printed by Shapeways. My parts are always quite intricate (scale model parts). I cast PU resin in the molds.

[Updated on: Fri, 20 August 2010 15:10 UTC]

Re: Best way to go from shape to resin casting [message #16483 is a reply to message #15394 ] Sat, 21 August 2010 10:05 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar DrJekyll  is currently offline DrJekyll
Go to my shop
For me I have found just simply dipping WSF parts into Johnsons Klear for a few minuets then letting it dry is all that is needed to prevent RTV from sticking. This keeps the original look of the part.

For a smooth finish I also sand my parts then paint them with filler primer. I repeat this process a few times and finish by buffing. This may not be practical if your models have a lot of detail.

This is a cast from one of my painted/polished parts. I've not taken a photo of the Johnsons Klear dipped cast but I can if anyone is interested.

index.php?t=getfile&id=4622&private=0

Re: Best way to go from shape to resin casting [message #17106 is a reply to message #15394 ] Wed, 01 September 2010 18:18 UTC Go to previous message
avatar LincolnK  is currently offline LincolnK
Go to my shop
FX2 - Do you have any images or links to a site where we could see some results of your molding and casting of Shapeways parts?

Is there any reason (other than price) to go with Transparent Detail as opposed to black or white detail?

For special discounts and news add us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Craftosterone
www.Craftosterone.com
http://www.shapeways.com/shops/novakingway

Previous Topic:Electrolysis for dyeing Stainless Steel?
Next Topic:Post Production WIki

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.