Home » Community » It arrived! » Tulip teacandle light
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Tulip teacandle light [message #15111] Fri, 23 July 2010 09:16 UTC Go to next message
avatar s_f_x  is currently offline s_f_x
Go to my shop
Hi,

now this flower-themed teacandle light arrived a while ago, and I always meant to share my excitement... and now I will! Absolutely thrilled how it turned out!

index.php?t=getfile&id=4260&private=0

index.php?t=getfile&id=4261&private=0

index.php?t=getfile&id=4262&private=0

I first made it as a birthday present, but then lots of people liked it, so I made it available: ( -> find it here)

The petals are thin enough to let quite a lot of light through, yet they are strong enough to last. When it was handed around among birthday guests someone accidentally dropped it, but it didn't matter - the material is flexible and amazingly strong. Heat also doesn't seem to be a problem - it's been in use for a while now, and the plastic doesn't get hot or black or anything.
The petals themselves are slightly separated, which allows air to get to the candle, and also creates a nice effect with the light shining through.

What do you think?
(* btw. these are actual photos with a standard tea candle, so you'll get some idea about the light it creates - the background is a beautiful granite dining table that my parents have)

• Attachment: IMG_5953.jpg
    (Size: 198.22KB, Downloaded 351 time(s))

• Attachment: IMG_5950.jpg
    (Size: 332.33KB, Downloaded 360 time(s))

• Attachment: IMG_5959.jpg
    (Size: 278.01KB, Downloaded 361 time(s))

Re: Tulip teacandle light [message #15114 is a reply to message #15111 ] Fri, 23 July 2010 10:42 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar lensman  is currently offline lensman
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Beautiful model and design... and love the well-photographed product shots (others take note!).

You didn't say what material this was printed in?

Glenn

Glenn ------ My Website Third Dimension Jewellery
Re: Tulip teacandle light [message #15115 is a reply to message #15111 ] Fri, 23 July 2010 11:06 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Drawn-SteelHero  is currently offline Drawn-SteelHero
Go to my shop
Since SFX mentioned how it turned out to be very "strong" and "flexible", I'm gonna take that as a hint that it's WSF. Razz

Beautiful work, and great photos - while I assumed they were real photos from the start, I couldn't help thinking they might also be renders! Smile

Andy
Re: Tulip teacandle light [message #15116 is a reply to message #15115 ] Fri, 23 July 2010 12:16 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar HaVoC373  is currently offline HaVoC373
Go to my shop
beautifull design and photos.
i am impressed Smile
Re: Tulip teacandle light [message #15146 is a reply to message #15111 ] Fri, 23 July 2010 21:07 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar euphy  is currently offline euphy
Go to my shop
Perfect model, looks great!
Re: Tulip teacandle light [message #15150 is a reply to message #15146 ] Fri, 23 July 2010 21:22 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Whystler  is currently offline Whystler
Go to my shop
I love the way light glows through thin WSF. This is a beautiful application of that property!

-Whystler

Check out my website: http://tshawnjohnson.wordpress.com/
Re: Tulip teacandle light [message #15186 is a reply to message #15111 ] Sat, 24 July 2010 18:50 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar nervoussystem  is currently offline nervoussystem
Go to my shop
nice. I like the translucency, how thin is the wall thickness on the petals?

http://n-e-r-v-o-u-s.com
Re: Tulip teacandle light [message #15201 is a reply to message #15111 ] Sun, 25 July 2010 14:09 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Hi,
thanks for all the comments!! Very much appreciated. I am still quite new to 3D design, and most things I do are more engineering-related - so I'm glad you like it!
The material is WSF. I'd love to try it out in glass, I think that would be rather cool - however I think the thinnest point in the petals is only 0.8mm thick, which rules out a lot of other materials. I could make it thicker, but that would increase the price quite a lot. Maybe I should try and scale it down a bit? But it seems to work really well in WSF.
Re: Tulip teacandle light [message #15204 is a reply to message #15114 ] Sun, 25 July 2010 16:08 UTC Go to previous message
Go to my shop
lensman wrote on Fri, 23 July 2010 10:42

Beautiful model and design... and love the well-photographed product shots (others take note!).

thanks! About the photos:
These were actually rather "quick snaps" for my standards... Photography is quite a hobby of mine, and usually I would grab the opportunity with something like that as an excuse to get out my flashes, reflectors and camera gear... But in this case it's actually more beautiful to use the candle for letting the object light itself.

PS: after writing this I suddenly felt inspired to play with my camera... here's some more photos, this time illuminated by flashes:
index.php?t=getfile&id=4281&private=0

index.php?t=getfile&id=4284&private=0

And another one for your interest: "down the barrel", showing my quick ad-hoc setup for the above shots:
index.php?t=getfile&id=4283&private=0

It's easier than you probably think - the umbrellas were $10 online, at least one of the flashes was $30 (the other one is a rather nice one though). I use extension cables to trigger the flashes, but there are also radio triggers available fairly cheaply. One can get good results with entry level SLRs and lenses... but of course better lenses will have advantages Smile

Previous Topic:Escherian Head Earring
Next Topic:The Mesh Mask

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.