Home » Support » Bug Reporting » Model upload/feedback/repair
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Model upload/feedback/repair [message #15068] Thu, 22 July 2010 10:09 UTC Go to next message
avatar virtox  is currently offline virtox
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Hi,

I also just a second email about a model being non-manifold, that was submitted days ago. In the mean time I had seen the first error mail, fixed and uploaded it myself.
But I think I forgot to "opt-out" on the manual check ? This is bound to happen more often Wink

- Would it be possible to have a "profile" setting :
"do NOT try to fix my meshes by meshmedic / manually" ?
(Or make it an opt-in service ?)

I really don't need or want those options for my models.
If it's not manifold, it means I made a mistake, which I want to correct myself Wink

I guess there are many "clean" modelers which don't need this feature, and it could probably reduce the server load a lot and reduce queue problems.

- Can you provide more consistent information in the emails about model upload ?

1 The "Shapeways | Thanks for uploading a model"
Could really use the "model title/name" in the subject and/or message.
Perhaps even the model nr if one is already assigned at that stage.

Because once it's uploaded, the "filename" is not shown on the page, so sometimes hard to track things down when uploading multiple models on a busy day. (if I can upload 5 files in 5 browser tabs, I will Wink)

2 The "Shapeways | Your model 'model name' became printable"
could in turn use the original filename and model number.
This way it's easier to keep track of which file was used.
A direct link to the model would be very useful (now it's a link to "my designs"

3 The "Shapeways | There's a problem with your new model 'henk'
Could also really use the filename as, we don't have a model page yet, but we do have a wrong "file"

At this stage I know enough and will not need more input or server-power from shapeways Wink

But for consistency :

4 The second " Shapeways | There's a problem with your new model 'henk'
Could also use the filename for those struggling to keep their attempts organized Wink

Cheers,

Stijn

- Artist / Engineer / Designer / Shopowner / Volunteer / Moderator -
Re: Model upload/feedback/repair [message #15078 is a reply to message #15068 ] Thu, 22 July 2010 12:28 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Youknowwho4eva  is currently offline Youknowwho4eva
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
I work here
Along the lines of this to help with organization, it would be nice if when I look at my models, that I can see the file name of the file that was uploaded. Maybe even a owner only note field, that is only visible to me so that I can not only put in there what stl I uploaded but what ckd I exported it from. Even better for color models as I can put what vrml what jpeg what jpeg is the layout, and what ckd it came from.

I learned a long time ago the wisest thing I can do is be on my own side, be an advocate for myself and others like me. -Maya Angelou
michael@shapeways.com Community Advocate
Re: Model upload/feedback/repair [message #15085 is a reply to message #15068 ] Thu, 22 July 2010 14:48 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar virtox  is currently offline virtox
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Haha, just saw the new "Please manually fix my model when the upload fail". Either you're really quick, or I'm a bit slow Laughing

- Artist / Engineer / Designer / Shopowner / Volunteer / Moderator -
Re: Model upload/feedback/repair [message #15225 is a reply to message #15085 ] Mon, 26 July 2010 10:09 UTC Go to previous message
avatar bartv  is currently offline bartv
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Awesome suggestions - I've forwarded them to our website manager.

@Virtox: yeah, we're *real* quick! That feature was released last thursday just between your messages Wink

Bart

Community Manager Europe | Shapeways

Previous Topic:Love what you have done with the place!
Next Topic:Image upload tutorial and recommended sizes

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.