Home »  » Shapeways Shops » Why does it take now hours to verify a model?
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Why does it take now hours to verify a model? [message #15041] Wed, 21 July 2010 19:53 UTC Go to next message
avatar Oskar_van_Deventer  is currently offline Oskar_van_Deventer
Go to my shop
Hi Shapeways,

As you know, I have uploaded many models. Typically, it takes a minute or two to get it visible in my shop after the model is uploaded. Now it is taking many hours. I uploaded some models around 18:30. Now it is nearly 22:00, and still no confirmation or error message.

Also, your upload system recently rejected a perfectly fine .stl file, claiming a non-manifold problem. Meshlab says the file is fine. I can see that the file is fine.

What is going on?

Oskar
Re: Why does it take now hours to verify a model? [message #15046 is a reply to message #15041 ] Wed, 21 July 2010 21:37 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar pete  is currently offline pete
Go to all my models
Co-Founder
Hi Oskar,

we will have a look tomorrow, meanwhile our site has been very busy today and also we have been getting many more uploads so this could explain the delay (somewhat).

Regarding the disqualifying of your fine model, that is for Arno and crew to have a look at.

Peter
Re: Why does it take now hours to verify a model? [message #15049 is a reply to message #15041 ] Wed, 21 July 2010 22:06 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar robert  is currently offline robert
Go to all my models
I work here
Hey Oskar,

That is odd. We will look into it.

Could you please send your file to service[AT]shapeways[DOT]com so we can take a look at your rejected STL?

Thanks!

Robert
Re: Why does it take now hours to verify a model? [message #15058 is a reply to message #15049 ] Thu, 22 July 2010 06:56 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
> Could you please send your file to service[AT]shapeways[DOT]com so we can take a look at your rejected STL?
Thank you, I had already done so.

I hope that you will be able to solve the performance problem very soon. For one year, I have been producing perfectly clean STLs that have been accepted by Shapeways in minutes. The introduction of "Mesh Medic" feels like a step back to me, as it takes ages to evaluate my perfectly clean meshes, and now it starts rejecting them.

Oskar
Re: Why does it take now hours to verify a model? [message #15060 is a reply to message #15058 ] Thu, 22 July 2010 08:00 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar arno  is currently offline arno
Go to all my models
Hi Oskar,

I think the models got queued, due to the server being busy. Eg, the upload date for model Sixth Sense v19 - size 64.stl is logged as 21 July 2010 18:36, but the checks only started at 21 July 2010 21:15 and your mail was send at 21 July 2010 21:16. Checks itself are not slow, but I need to find out why they started that late. Sorry.

About the 'perfect' stl. I checked our backend logs and had the file you send by mail looked at. Both the log and Magics claim the model has inverted normals and other issues (probably caused by the normals not ok). So I am sorry to say, but it looks the model somehow was not perfect this time?

Meshmedic tried to repair it, but in the process the model became non-manifold (it had too many problems). That is why you got the mail about not being manifold. CS will try to repair your model manually and will you inform about the results.

I hope this is of help,

kind regards, Arno

PS: I have attached a screenshot of the Magics analysis.

Re: Why does it take now hours to verify a model? [message #15063 is a reply to message #15060 ] Thu, 22 July 2010 08:30 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Hi Arno,

This helps a bit, but not a lot.

First of all, could you next time try and make the IT system send me error messages what I am doing wrong, not what your system is doing wrong, please?

I found and corrected the inverted normals. Still, my STLs are rejected. I'll send them to you by email again.

Thank you for your help and patience.

Oskar

> CS will try to repair your model manually
That is very kind, although I prefer to provide clean STLs myzelf.

[Updated on: Thu, 22 July 2010 08:35 UTC]

Re: Why does it take now hours to verify a model? [message #15067 is a reply to message #15063 ] Thu, 22 July 2010 09:38 UTC Go to previous message
avatar arno  is currently offline arno
Go to all my models
Hi Oskar,

Sorry for the confusion. Indeed you get only the latest error, not the error why meshmedic was started. We'll work on that.

In the mean while, we'll check your models. And check our upload tool chain, coz now you might have surfaced an issue. Sorry for that.

Thanks for your patience.

Kind regards, Arno

Previous Topic:Enhanced Shop description page
Next Topic:Not for sale issue and updates

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.