Home » Support » 3D Printing » Polished stainless steel option
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Polished stainless steel option [message #14888] Sun, 18 July 2010 20:37 UTC Go to next message
avatar randomhuman  is currently offline randomhuman
Go to all my models
I've seen people mention polished stainless steel as a possible finish for the stainless steel material here in the forums, but does not appear to be available to me when I go to order something. Looking at pictures of different stainless steel objects I can see the difference between those that were polished and those that weren't, but how can I specify that I want a print to be polished? Are stainless steel prints just polished at the discretion of the printer?
Re: Polished stainless steel option [message #14889 is a reply to message #14888 ] Sun, 18 July 2010 20:53 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar TomZ  is currently offline TomZ
Go to my shop
Shapeways does not offer polished SS as of now. If you see a polished SS item on Shapeways, it was probably polished by the customer, not Shapeways.
Re: Polished stainless steel option [message #14890 is a reply to message #14889 ] Sun, 18 July 2010 21:14 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
Well there's this, which was definitely polished by shapeways, though it was apparently printed before stainless steel was made available for everybody. It's even featured in the metal printing video. I actually tracked down the opposite answer given by Joris, but that was also quite a while back. Even the bunny on the stainless steel page looks to me like it was polished, and if no polishing is done anymore then that's just misleading. It has pockmarks, but it's primarily smooth and shiny, whereas a stainless steel print I ordered was dull and grey, with visible print lines.

I guess I have no choice but to order from the materials and finishes that are available, but it would be nice to know what to expect.
Re: Polished stainless steel option [message #14891 is a reply to message #14888 ] Sun, 18 July 2010 21:15 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar euphy  is currently offline euphy
Go to my shop
I find it's the luck of the draw with how polished the ss gets during finishing. I've had some really beautiful pieces satin finished direct from shapeways, other pieces I've had to grind myself to get rid of really rough surfaces and loads of burrs. I understand there is a tumbling stage in the finishing process, but I don't know if there's also an actual person running them under a polishing mop too.

Sandy Noble
Re: Polished stainless steel option [message #14892 is a reply to message #14891 ] Sun, 18 July 2010 23:16 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar pete  is currently offline pete
Go to all my models
Co-Founder
Hey guys,

for the stainless all parts are tumbled for a certain amount of time. Depending on the shape of the part, the results varies slightly. Each part is quickly checked for quality. If we would ship *unpolished* it would look horrible.

regards,
Peter
Re: Polished stainless steel option [message #14910 is a reply to message #14892 ] Mon, 19 July 2010 10:10 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar virtox  is currently offline virtox
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
I have had some "delicate" rings in the past which had apparently so much fine surface detail, they were hardly polished at all.

Others varied a lot, usually the more blobby/round an object is, the longer/smoother it is polished.

Occluded areas and crevices usually remain a lot rougher. (no real surprise there, I guess)

But it would help to know what "grain?"-size is used in tumbling, how long/thorough it is run.

And is it safe to assume that if a model (easily) survives the green stage, it will withstand the final polishing ?
Or are there other restrictions/policies?

Cheers,

Stijn

Ps. I spent some time yesterday experimenting with a bottle full of sand, dish soap and water. (on a lovely sunny day, I felt like I was 6 again Very Happy)

Put in some stainless steel prints and started shaking Smile
It looks promising, but I will have to motorize it before I can say if it's really useful.

- Artist / Engineer / Designer / Shopowner / Volunteer / Moderator -
Re: Polished stainless steel option [message #14944 is a reply to message #14888 ] Mon, 19 July 2010 22:11 UTC Go to previous message
Go to all my models
Good info, thanks. I'm up for polishing things myself, but from the way people were talking I thought I was missing something about the ordering of stainless steel. I guess I'll just have to order some prints and see what turns up!

Previous Topic:Stainless steel detail printing results
Next Topic:Hypothetical Question

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.