Home » Support » 3D Design » How can this 4cm² shape be 40$
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
How can this 4cm² shape be 40$ [message #14341] Sat, 03 July 2010 22:12 UTC Go to next message
avatar drownspire  is currently offline drownspire
Go to all my models
Hi,

I made this simple character as a first test for Shapeways and it turned out really expensive ! I was wondering if you could point me what I did wrong there Smile

Thank you so much.

• Attachment: DSC14.stl
    (Size: 643.25KB, Downloaded 130 time(s))

Re: How can this 4cm² shape be 40$ [message #14342 is a reply to message #14341 ] Sat, 03 July 2010 23:37 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Drawn-SteelHero  is currently offline Drawn-SteelHero
Go to my shop
As far as I can tell, your model is solid, and Shapeways charges per cubic centimetre of material used. Judging by the size of your model, I'd say $40 sounds about right for an SWF print. But if you hollowed the model out (leaving a millimetre or two wall thickness all round and allowing a drainage hole for the excess material), you'd save yourself quite a bit.

Andy
Re: How can this 4cm² shape be 40$ [message #14344 is a reply to message #14341 ] Sun, 04 July 2010 04:23 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar bitstoatoms  is currently offline bitstoatoms
Go to my shop
I work here
Hi there Downspire,

Hollowing it out will make a considerable difference as Andy suggested.

Duann

Duann Scott

Re: How can this 4cm² shape be 40$ [message #14360 is a reply to message #14341 ] Sun, 04 July 2010 20:55 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
Thanks Smile It's still 35$ for something I was hoping to sell for about 15$ ^^

Thanks a lot tho : )
Re: How can this 4cm² shape be 40$ [message #14362 is a reply to message #14360 ] Sun, 04 July 2010 22:42 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar stannum  is currently offline stannum
Go to my shop
With a rough inner ball to create a 2mm wall in the center the quote goes down to around 15; so with more time it could be be 1mm or 1.5mm walls, which would do for most materials, and save some extra dollars.

First fix the non manifold vertices so other real problems are properly reported (let me guess... you used booleans?), then add the inner ball, flip the normals and connect the shells. Here is the stl of the two shells, you only have to create the connection so support can be removed.

[Updated on: Sun, 04 July 2010 22:43 UTC]

Re: How can this 4cm² shape be 40$ [message #14458 is a reply to message #14341 ] Tue, 06 July 2010 21:43 UTC Go to previous message
Go to all my models
Cheers stanum Smile

I will give it a shot right away.

Previous Topic:3D Noob w/ a Wall Thickness Question
Next Topic:Blendermade anorganic design

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.