Our Gift to You: 20% off your own designs in Strong & Flexible Plastic through Dec 23, with promo code MY2014 · details
Home » Community » Introductions » Hello from Arizona
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Hello from Arizona [message #14332] Sat, 03 July 2010 16:57 UTC Go to next message
avatar FLAT3D  is currently offline FLAT3D
Go to my shop
Hi all, I just found this site and I must say it is right up my alley. I use Solid Works every day and also have used our Vanquish 3d printer at work. I understand 3d modeling and 3d printing. The prices I've seen here are better than any of the local shops by far!
Question: Can I just upload files for anyone to check out and possible order? I have (for example) 3d models of the five platonic solids that are dimensionally as perfect as can be made. They were all designed to fit in a 1" cube so they're not very big. Maybe they can be scaled to order? I also have then in "wire-frame" as it were each with a ball on the inside. I've printed some of them and they always get a lot of attention.
Re: Hello from Arizona [message #14369 is a reply to message #14332 ] Mon, 05 July 2010 04:48 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar bartv  is currently offline bartv
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Hi FLAT3D,

welcome to Shapeways!

FLAT3D wrote on Sat, 03 July 2010 16:57

Question: Can I just upload files for anyone to check out and possible order? I have (for example) 3d models of the five platonic solids that are dimensionally as perfect as can be made. They were all designed to fit in a 1" cube so they're not very big. Maybe they can be scaled to order? I also have then in "wire-frame" as it were each with a ball on the inside. I've printed some of them and they always get a lot of attention.

Yes, you can open a shop and place your models in there. On top of the printing price you can add a 'markup' fee that we'll collect for you when the models sell. Our members are already making a nice bit of extra cash that way!

I'm not sure about the scale question - you'll have to upload the models in the exact size you require for printing

Wire-frames are ok, as long as the wires match the minimum wall thickness requirement.

For additional questions, you may find that our '3D Design' forum works better.

Have fun!

Bart

Community Manager Europe | Shapeways
Re: Hello from Arizona [message #14439 is a reply to message #14369 ] Tue, 06 July 2010 19:40 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar jdl  is currently offline jdl
Go to all my models
Welcome to our site,
did you also know seeing that you are a solid works user that we have an easy upload plug-in, if interested you can find info here http://www.shapeways.com/tutorials/solid_works_add-in
Re: Hello from Arizona [message #14526 is a reply to message #14439 ] Wed, 07 July 2010 23:01 UTC Go to previous message
avatar FLAT3D  is currently offline FLAT3D
Go to my shop
jdl,
Thanks for the welcome and the info. My start here will no doubt be slow but it will happen.
Thanks again

Previous Topic:Hello from Portugal
Next Topic:Hi, from Spain!

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.