Home » Support » 3D Design » 3D Noob w/ a Wall Thickness Question
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
3D Noob w/ a Wall Thickness Question [message #14350] Sun, 04 July 2010 10:49 UTC Go to next message
avatar cupofsea  is currently offline cupofsea
Go to all my models
Hi all,

I'm new to the world of 3D modelling and am trying to find my feet. (I'm also trying to find a 3D software that I like!)

My main problem at the moment is when I create extruded shapes from flat planes. Are those extruded shapes, by default, hollow? I'm planning to print in stainless steel and know I need a wall thickness of at least 3mm, but it appears that the extruded shapes' walls are only a sliver thick. How can I change this?

At the moment I'm flirting with 3DVIA, Blender, SketchUp, Alibre and Rhino. So anyone who knows how to do it in any of those programs, please help a girl out! Very Happy

Thank you!
Re: 3D Noob w/ a Wall Thickness Question [message #14353 is a reply to message #14350 ] Sun, 04 July 2010 13:12 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar stonysmith  is currently offline stonysmith
Go to my shop
With most programs, if you take a square and extrude it, you'll end up with a solid cube, which will then be expensive to print. Some of the programs then have a "shell" option that will subtract the interior from it to make a hollow cube.

With other programs, you would have to add a second cube, and then use ObjectSubtract to end up with the hollow cube.

The big "trick" with Shapeways is that you need a "hole" thru to the inner surface.. the unused powder inside must be able to drain out, or you'll be charged for the entire volume of powder.

=====
Personally, I've been using TrueSpace for years, and I love it. It's now it's a free download, but you want to see if you can find the older verson 7.6.0 instead of the new 7.6.1

About 6 months ago, a new (also free) program came out called OpenScad. For a programmer-type like me, it's a true wonder.

Patience, Persistance, Politeness - the 3Ps will help us get us to Perfect Printed Products
Re: 3D Noob w/ a Wall Thickness Question [message #14426 is a reply to message #14350 ] Tue, 06 July 2010 12:10 UTC Go to previous message
avatar cupofsea  is currently offline cupofsea
Go to all my models
Thanks Stoney!

Previous Topic:whats wrong with this WRL file
Next Topic:How can this 4cm² shape be 40$