Introducing 14k Gold, read more on the blog.
Home » Support » Buying » Import Costs to the US?
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Import Costs to the US? [message #1396] Tue, 23 September 2008 11:47 UTC Go to next message
avatar mobiuschic42  is currently offline mobiuschic42
Go to all my models
Hi all,
I'm curious about how much people are getting charged to have a model sent to the US...I'm just thinking my $128.45 bill seems a little steep. And others should know about the shipping methods that are being used that cause packages to be so expensive!
Re: Import Costs to the US? [message #1397 is a reply to message #1396 ] Tue, 23 September 2008 14:29 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar RalphVdB  is currently offline RalphVdB
Go to my shop
I work here
Hi Mobiuschic42 Cool ,

The price of a model depends on the volume and includes shipping. Depending on your country, tax will be added.

Shapeways International Customer Service Manager
Re: Import Costs to the US? [message #1398 is a reply to message #1397 ] Tue, 23 September 2008 15:19 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
I'm currently working with Frank on this, but I just wanted to give other people a heads up that "taxes" in this case turned out to be $128 in UPS freight charges...I'll keep the forum updated on what happens.
Re: Import Costs to the US? [message #1399 is a reply to message #1396 ] Tue, 23 September 2008 15:25 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Whystler  is currently offline Whystler
Go to my shop

Hmm,

As far as I understand it so far, shipping costs are included in the price of the model. So, you shouldn't be paying extra for shipping.

Have you recieved a model and had to pay extra? If so, there will be duty taxes added. I expect to have to pay extra once the item get's here, only because no tax has been paid on the item yet.

Are you saying that you were charged $128 in duty tax?

-Whystler

Check out my website: http://tshawnjohnson.wordpress.com/
Re: Import Costs to the US? [message #1400 is a reply to message #1399 ] Tue, 23 September 2008 15:44 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
I got a bill from UPS (which a Shapeways staff member confirmed was related to my package from Shapeways) for ~$90 in freight charges and a ~$40 fuel charge to get the package over the ocean. Nowhere is this mentioned as a customs fee or a duty or anything like that. Just freight and fuel.
I realize that this is kind of ridiculous on UPS's part ($90 for a 2.2lb package?), but it certainly doesn't seem in line with what Shapeways' FAQ says. Perhaps it was just a mistake, but it's definitely one others should know about. Smile
Re: Import Costs to the US? [message #1402 is a reply to message #1399 ] Tue, 23 September 2008 15:46 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
Oh, also I haven't yet received the package; there were three unsuccessful delivery attempts. I am currently unsure whether those attempts were unsuccessful because my University's mailing office refused to pay UPS's charges or if they were simply trying to deliver to the wrong place (which has been known to happen at my university).

[Updated on: Tue, 23 September 2008 15:46 UTC]

Re: Import Costs to the US? [message #1404 is a reply to message #1402 ] Tue, 23 September 2008 19:28 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar robert  is currently offline robert
Go to all my models
I work here
Hi mobiuschic42,

I heard today UPS tried to charge you with $128 for shipping. It looks like there is a mixup at UPS. The package currently traveling to us (after the 3 failed attempts to deliver).

For $128 I could almost hand-deliver the item to you. Smile

We will ship it back to you as soon as it arrives. And of course shipping is included in the price. Though some countries add import duties.

Cheers!

Robert
Re: Import Costs to the US? [message #1405 is a reply to message #1404 ] Tue, 23 September 2008 19:29 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
Hi Robert,
Will I be responsible for dealing with this UPS charge or will Shapeways take care of it?
Re: Import Costs to the US? [message #1406 is a reply to message #1405 ] Tue, 23 September 2008 19:51 UTC Go to previous message
avatar robert  is currently offline robert
Go to all my models
I work here
You mean they are still trying to charge you although they send back the package?

I think you are in contact with Frank about it? He will fix it for you.

Cheers!

Robert

[Updated on: Tue, 23 September 2008 19:52 UTC]

Previous Topic:Fastest shipping ever - or..?
Next Topic:Shipped on the 12th and not here...