Home » Community » Post Production Techniques » Washing White Detail?
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Washing White Detail? [message #13809] Sat, 19 June 2010 10:59 UTC Go to next message
avatar patmat2350  is currently offline patmat2350
Go to my shop
I've looked around, but haven't found any clear information yet about washing white-detail parts... must be here somewhere!

I received my first samples, all looks good with the shape... but the surface is sticky-tacky... I assume this is residue from the liquid photo-polymer. (Am I correct in assuming that this material is laser-hardened in a pool of liquid resin?)

What is the best way to wash this sticky film off?
Soapy water?
Or something like mineral spirits/paint thinner?

Thanks,
Pat M
Re: Washing White Detail? [message #13811 is a reply to message #13809 ] Sat, 19 June 2010 12:03 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar madox  is currently offline madox
Go to my shop
I just rinsed mine in water rubbing off the residue by hand. Its almost like 'glue' isn't it?
Re: Washing White Detail? [message #13973 is a reply to message #13809 ] Fri, 25 June 2010 10:54 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar BillBedford  is currently offline BillBedford
Go to my shop
Soak the parts in either Ammonia or Caustic Soda solution for about half an hour. Once the surface film has dissolved the parts should look shiny.

Bill Bedford
Re: Washing White Detail? [message #13976 is a reply to message #13973 ] Fri, 25 June 2010 11:15 UTC Go to previous message
avatar artur83  is currently offline artur83
Go to my shop
I've had good experience with 2% caustic soda in warm water (by volume if i remember correctly).
Although there's a warning, very thin parts should be soaked for not more than 20minutes, and be checked quite frequently, since caustic soda is corrosive, and can end up eating through very thin parts. (Although never happened to me).

Previous Topic:Spray paint effect with Uni Posca markers
Next Topic:Do-it-at-home version for casting a WSF ring?

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.