Home » Community » Work in progress » Recycled Material and model help
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Recycled Material and model help [message #13842] Mon, 21 June 2010 01:30 UTC Go to next message
avatar antiapathy  is currently offline antiapathy
Go to all my models
I am designing an award to be handed out by the Local Governments for Sustainability. It needs to be printed using recycled material. Is there a plastic that has some significant recycled content?

Also,
I am having some booleans problems (as with a previous model). I think my only non-manifold issue is where the windmills meet the sphere, not sometimes the part of the sphere touching the base isn't being deleted.

Luckily, for now I just need to provide a render.

Re: Recycled Material and model help [message #13866 is a reply to message #13842 ] Mon, 21 June 2010 15:46 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar virtox  is currently offline virtox
Go to my shop
The (more) expensive glass material is made from recycled glass I believe. Would be very nice for an award, but a bit fragile perhaps.
The model would need some rework ( less tall, more fat)

Check the material specs :
http://www.shapeways.com/materials/

Other than that, I don't think any of the processes is very eco.

Stainless steel would also be nice (being strong and durable)

Meshlab shows the model to be inside out, perhaps flipping all normals would allow the automatic mesh medic on upload to fix it properly ?

Cheers !

- Artist / Engineer / Designer / Shopowner / Volunteer / Moderator -
Re: Recycled Material and model help [message #13872 is a reply to message #13842 ] Mon, 21 June 2010 17:35 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar dizingof  is currently offline dizingof
Go to all my models
Hi,

I liked the design.

I fixed it for you and it's ready to be 3D printed.

Cheers

http://www.3Dizingof.com

Re: Recycled Material and model help [message #13873 is a reply to message #13872 ] Mon, 21 June 2010 17:46 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar antiapathy  is currently offline antiapathy
Go to all my models
Wow, thanks! Strangely, C4D is reporting "unknown file format" and won't open your file. I have no problem opening other STL files.
Re: Recycled Material and model help [message #13874 is a reply to message #13873 ] Mon, 21 June 2010 18:14 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
antiapathy wrote on Mon, 21 June 2010 17:46

Wow, thanks! Strangely, C4D is reporting "unknown file format" and won't open your file. I have no problem opening other STL files.

I was able to open it with meshlab and other software.
anyway i attach a new zip file.

Dizingof

Re: Recycled Material and model help [message #13889 is a reply to message #13842 ] Tue, 22 June 2010 02:51 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar crsdfr  is currently offline crsdfr
Go to all my models
None of the processes are particularly eco-friendly. Some of them re-use materials for the next build, but that's kind of a loose interpretation on the idea of recycling. Most use proprietary blends of made-for-use that are highly energy intensive to manufacture. The net energy loss in any RP process (except FDM) is orders of magnitude greater than most traditional manufacturing methods.

Perhaps you could look at re-designing in a way where a majority of the main components could be laser cut from recycled ABS sheets. Or talk to some of the Makerbot/RepRap guys about getting some parts made out of recycled PLA pellets if aesthetics aren't the number one concern. You could even do some aluminium casting from recycled cans.

A mix and match of different materials, recycled, and re-purposed by combining them with novel technologies to create something beautiful, would be a great way to show people that every material has an inherent value, even if it looks like trash.

Re: Recycled Material and model help [message #13890 is a reply to message #13842 ] Tue, 22 June 2010 04:27 UTC Go to previous message
Go to all my models
In spirit of recycling... i just hollowed your model (2mm wall thickness) and was able to cut your printing cost by more then 45%.. Rolling Eyes

Cheers

Dizingof

Previous Topic:Cufflink Project
Next Topic:SIGGRAPH 2010