Home » Community » General Discussion » please do not add new materials automatically
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
please do not add new materials automatically [message #13505] Wed, 09 June 2010 19:55 UTC Go to next message
avatar MichielCornelissen  is currently offline MichielCornelissen
Go to my shop
Dear SW people,

I have many good things to say about you, but also a little complaint. If you add a new material which is, in any way, more restrictive than existing materials, please don't add this material automatically to the list of available materials for a model.

Every time there is a new material, I have to go through all my models (which are usually quite optimized to work with, for instance SWF) and throw out the new ones. For instance, if stainless steel is not available for a model of mine, do you think that gold plated stainless steel is going to work...??

It's just that I don't want to disappoint our customers.

So I just spent about an hour throwing out materials, adding explanations that the colour they see in the pictures may not be available, and writing this post. Not how I like to spend my evenings Smile

And while I'm at it, I repeat, please give your webdesigner a mac; the website is very buggy with both safari and firefox on mac, I have to re-login every 5 minutes or so.

Cheers - Michiel

www.michielcornelissen.com
twitter: @michiel_ontwerp
Re: please do not add new materials automatically [message #13522 is a reply to message #13505 ] Thu, 10 June 2010 10:36 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar joris  is currently offline joris
Go to all my models
MIchiel,

Thank you for the suggestion. I'm sorry that this costs you so much time. The change was made because it was felt that this would increase sales. I do agree however that it will be a lot of hassle for people. But, previously it was also a lot of hassle since people had to every time add the new materials. We're working on making the material restrictions process easier so this will help either way.

The forum & log out issue is being looked at, it is terribly annoying but I don't think getting Barry (who does our testing and releases) a Mac would solve this. He's a very nice individual and getting him a Mac would risk turning him into one of those people that only talks about how "you should really get a Mac."

The forum issue is actually turning out to be quite a lot more complex than we initially thought but the guys are working hard on fixing it.
Re: please do not add new materials automatically [message #13648 is a reply to message #13505 ] Sun, 13 June 2010 16:09 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar minimaker  is currently offline minimaker
Go to all my models
Hi,

At this moment my designs are not yet public but when they do become available some should only be available in stainless steel.

What would be nice is an option to select multiple (or all) designs and then use a single settings tool to set details like material, category, etc. If new materials become available you can add or remove them through this tool. And perhaps an account setting where you can choose if new materials should be automatically added or not?

By the way, is it possible to suggest a new category somewhere? I'd like to see "tools" as an option.

Bye,Ming-Hua
Re: please do not add new materials automatically [message #13757 is a reply to message #13522 ] Thu, 17 June 2010 10:01 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Anbar  is currently offline Anbar
Go to my shop
joris wrote on Thu, 10 June 2010 10:36

He's a very nice individual and getting him a Mac would risk turning him into one of those people that only talks about how "you should really get a Mac."

QFT! Laughing
Re: please do not add new materials automatically [message #13767 is a reply to message #13505 ] Thu, 17 June 2010 17:57 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar photosfromrob  is currently offline photosfromrob
Go to my shop
I had a thought, last night, about the materials list debate...A solution that should suit everyone AND reduce the load on the database server.
Instead of each model having a materials list; each store would have a material profile(or several). The default profile would be all the Shapeways materials and they would be added automatically.
Shop owners could then make customized profiles and attach these profiles to models. That way all the models using profile 4 would be updated when the shop owner updated profile 4. Less work for the shop owner, less work and less space on the database server and much more shop owner control.
I don't see a down side.......and it's easy to implement.
Re: please do not add new materials automatically [message #13997 is a reply to message #13767 ] Sat, 26 June 2010 08:41 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar woody64  is currently offline woody64
Go to my shop
Today I once more struggled with the material topic finding:
- some models where new material was added as not applicable
- some where I have missed to add a material which should be available with this model
- changing the material lists becomes complexer and complexer every time a material is added or removed from shapeways

Your suggestion would make the life much more easier.
Material classes:
- ALL which is shapeways default and new material is always added there automatically
- and user ones

in my case I would use:

WallThickness_0.7 - all materials which allow this wall thickness
WallThickness_1.0 - - all materials which allow this wall thickness

And apply this change to all models and my world would be much easier.

When Shapeways adds a new material I can add it to this class and all models would be fine.
Now I have to struggle 1-2h to sort that out, making a lot of mistakes ...

Woody64

More then 8100 items sold over SW (but still a hobby)
Minifigcustomsin3d at: Facebook Flickr Twitter
References: 3d Printing Industries, CNN, J. Burks, Ugly Duckling, M.Evans, Stop Motion Film,Computer BILD, How to Become a 3D Printing Entrepreneur
More then 270 shop items (more then 146 already printed once) More the 500 successful Products (Items&material printed once)
Re: please do not add new materials automatically [message #13998 is a reply to message #13522 ] Sat, 26 June 2010 09:16 UTC Go to previous message
avatar MichielCornelissen  is currently offline MichielCornelissen
Go to my shop
Well, i just figured out that the site works well on an ipad... But joris, whatever you do, don't give him that! He'll never get any work done anymore...

www.michielcornelissen.com
twitter: @michiel_ontwerp

Previous Topic:is it nesessary to make model solid?
Next Topic:CNN Money video on 3D printing

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.