Home » Shapeways » Official Announcements » Shapeways site update of May 27th 2010
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Shapeways site update of May 27th 2010 [message #13222] Thu, 27 May 2010 16:39 UTC Go to next message
avatar arno  is currently offline arno
Go to all my models
Hi All,

Today we had another (big) feature release for the Shapeways site.

* The biggest new feature we offer is a long requested one. Sorting based on "popularity".
We take your ratings, how many times a model has been printed, the number of times it is marked as a favorite etc and calculate a sum on that. The model with the highest sum is shown first.
We have this per week, per month or all time.
Sorting on popularity replaces sorting on ranking, so the big bunch of 4 stars is now differentiated, because we also take other items into consideration to determine the sorting.

* With this new feature, we thought it would also be time to give the navigation bar in galleries an update.

* And, when viewing the details of a model, we started showing 'related models'. Currently that is showing the 4 models with highest popularity of the gallery/category you are viewing.

* We have added some tool tips for the icons we use on the models in the gallery ... however we intend to tweak the style of these some more to make 'm look nicer

* Another change is that we do some extra checks after Mesh Medic has tried to repair your model. Mesh Medic cannot repair all your models, and some of the ones it couldn't fix slipped through. So, you might experience a bit more strict upload checks, but the positive of this is, that you get less disappointments afterward when we find out we can't print your model due to an modeling error that we didn't detect.

* The change in 3d model checks also helps to resolve the problems with the 3d viewer. We couldn't try for all the models on the site Wink but it should work again (for most)

* To make uploading less complex, we have added color detection. So for full color models, you do not need to tell us anymore it has color, we'll get the information from your uploaded model. When your model has materials, colors or an texture, we'll mark it as having color for you.

Sorry for the downtime this update needed (30 minutes, from 12:15-12:45 CET) but we think you'll appreciate the release.

Kind regards, Arno
Re: Shapeways site update of May 27th 2010 [message #13224 is a reply to message #13222 ] Thu, 27 May 2010 16:48 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Youknowwho4eva is currently online Youknowwho4eva
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
I work here
Arno,

Everything looks nice and up to date. Did the logging off problem get fixed as well? I had a hard time with it yesterday saying I was logged off almost every time I went to the forum, but have only had that problem once today, may have been before the update.

Thanks,
Mike

I learned a long time ago the wisest thing I can do is be on my own side, be an advocate for myself and others like me. -Maya Angelou
michael@shapeways.com Community Advocate
Re: Shapeways site update of May 27th 2010 [message #13225 is a reply to message #13224 ] Thu, 27 May 2010 17:00 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar arno  is currently offline arno
Go to all my models
Hi Mike,

Embarassed we didn't solve that knowingly. But your remark opens new possibilities in the direction to look. When we have had a release all cache etc is reset. So, if you have less issues with it now as before the update ...

Thanks.
Re: Shapeways site update of May 27th 2010 [message #13226 is a reply to message #13222 ] Thu, 27 May 2010 17:03 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Youknowwho4eva is currently online Youknowwho4eva
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
I work here
Accidentally fixing things works too.

I learned a long time ago the wisest thing I can do is be on my own side, be an advocate for myself and others like me. -Maya Angelou
michael@shapeways.com Community Advocate
Re: Shapeways site update of May 27th 2010 [message #13228 is a reply to message #13222 ] Thu, 27 May 2010 19:37 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar woody64  is currently offline woody64
Go to my shop
The biggest new feature we offer is a long requested one. Sorting based on "popularity".
We take your ratings, how many times a model has been printed, the number of times it is marked as a favorite etc and calculate a sum on that. The model with the highest sum is shown first.

I've taken a look on th resulting top items in my shop and was wondering ...
which means I couldn't understand the rating.

I know the most selling items, I can see the views and I can see the stars.

To my opinion the rating still is the most driving factor in the calculation. But is that really true?

Rating: there are often no more then 3-7 ratings which is not representative at all. People can rate from design point of view, from interest, .... nobody knows the criteria.
Maybe many users are not interested in rating at all.

Views: The same items often has 600-1600 views which means at least that people have spent their time looking at this item

Buys: The strongest argument. Was there somebody willing to spend money.

I haven't looked on other stores so far but maybe you can take a quick look if I'm right or completely wrong.

Woody64

P.S.: Still doesn't have feedback about placing links on the shop description, which doesn't work in my shop.

More then 8100 items sold over SW (but still a hobby)
Minifigcustomsin3d at: Facebook Flickr Twitter
References: 3d Printing Industries, CNN, J. Burks, Ugly Duckling, M.Evans, Stop Motion Film,Computer BILD, How to Become a 3D Printing Entrepreneur
More then 270 shop items (more then 146 already printed once) More the 500 successful Products (Items&material printed once)
Re: Shapeways site update of May 27th 2010 [message #13252 is a reply to message #13228 ] Fri, 28 May 2010 21:28 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar robert  is currently offline robert
Go to all my models
I work here
Hey Woody,

The current configuration gives the most weight to buys and favorites.

I will look into putting urls in the description of your shop on Monday.

Cheers!

Robert
Re: Shapeways site update of May 27th 2010 [message #13349 is a reply to message #13252 ] Thu, 03 June 2010 16:09 UTC Go to previous message
avatar EricFinley  is currently offline EricFinley
Go to my shop
Given that you already have Tags incorporated, I suggest giving quite strong weight to congruent tags when assessing "Related models."

I also suggest logging the "customers who bought this also bought" and, if not providing it separately, using it as a further filtering tool on deciding what's related.

As a third step, if the model is in more than one category or gallery, look for overall congruence or near-congruence of the list of categories.

Just seeing the highest rated thing from a given category... would be pretty unhelpful, IMO.

Previous Topic:Delay on printability May 5
Next Topic:Shapeways site update of June 9th 2010

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.