Home » Support » 3D Printing » 2 Part print for gold plated possible?
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
icon8.gif  2 Part print for gold plated possible? [message #13326] Wed, 02 June 2010 17:35 UTC Go to next message
avatar JustinM  is currently offline JustinM
Go to my shop
I ordered a real basic design
http://www.shapeways.com/modules/udesign/utils/openfile.php?id=122224&f=122224_large_v2.jpg

I needed to get it gold plated. I paid $67 and received various emails telling me it was in production, etc. This morning I got the following

Dear Justin,

I'm sorry to inform you some of your models could not be gold
plated because there is nothing to hang it on without seeing
it after the process.

I was really looking forward to this model and now my day is shot. As silly as it is, this was really important to me.

[Updated on: Wed, 02 June 2010 19:51 UTC]

Re: They cancelled my order for being gold plated [message #13327 is a reply to message #13326 ] Wed, 02 June 2010 17:40 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar gharryh  is currently offline gharryh
Go to my shop
As i saw in the description of things to be gold plated there MUST be a hole somewhere in the design to hold the object whilest emerging into the gold bath.

Its on the Stainless steel page:

Want to know more?

* Gold Plated Stainless Steel has the same design rules as the ones for Stainless Steel 3D printing, with the exception of the maximum size (31 x 26 x 20 cm). Once 3D printed, the outer layer is firmly coated in gold. In order for us to do this there has to be some kind of eyelet that we can use to hang the model from so we can lower it into the gold bath. Furthermore the model must be able to sink in the gold bath so enclosed spaces that make it float are not permitted, e.g. a marble would not work.

Harry

[Updated on: Wed, 02 June 2010 17:45 UTC]

Re: They cancelled my order for being gold plated [message #13329 is a reply to message #13326 ] Wed, 02 June 2010 17:53 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Youknowwho4eva  is currently offline Youknowwho4eva
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
I work here
Is there a back to the model that you wouldn't care if it showed, that you could tell them?

Deleting your other post.

I learned a long time ago the wisest thing I can do is be on my own side, be an advocate for myself and others like me. -Maya Angelou
michael@shapeways.com Community Advocate
Re: They cancelled my order for being gold plated [message #13330 is a reply to message #13326 ] Wed, 02 June 2010 17:59 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
I would think the center would be fine if done from both sides. The model is symmetrical. I hope they can still make it after I fix it since gold is limited.

[Updated on: Wed, 02 June 2010 18:20 UTC]

Re: They cancelled my order for being gold plated [message #13331 is a reply to message #13326 ] Wed, 02 June 2010 18:45 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Youknowwho4eva  is currently offline Youknowwho4eva
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
I work here
Seeing it's been extended to the 15th you have some time.

http://www.shapeways.com/blog/archives/466-Gold,-Gold-until- the-15th.html

I learned a long time ago the wisest thing I can do is be on my own side, be an advocate for myself and others like me. -Maya Angelou
michael@shapeways.com Community Advocate
Re: They cancelled my order for being gold plated [message #13332 is a reply to message #13327 ] Wed, 02 June 2010 19:11 UTC Go to previous message
Go to my shop
index.php?t=getfile&id=3742&private=0Can you model 2 parts that dont intersect with metal? I could make a open loop that holds the coin.

• Attachment: CoinLoop.jpg
    (Size: 12.78KB, Downloaded 291 time(s))

[Updated on: Wed, 02 June 2010 19:11 UTC]

Previous Topic:Will normal map working with 3D printing?
Next Topic:Support for "floppy" structure in stainless steel

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.