Home » Support » 3D Design » Problem with STL from Solidworks
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Problem with STL from Solidworks [message #12694] Tue, 11 May 2010 05:28 UTC Go to next message
avatar jsp7707  is currently offline jsp7707
Go to my shop
Hello All,

Attached is a zip file containing several stl files merged into 1 model. They are definately water tight individually, but when I merge layers in AccuTran I get all sort of errors.

And I am having NORMAL issues as well.

I also uploaded the individual pieces as well.

These files were created in solidworks and then mated together in an assembly. It's where the parts mate that I'm having problems...

• Attachment: test.zip
    (Size: 4.92MB, Downloaded 119 time(s))

• Attachment: test_merged.zip
    (Size: 5.00MB, Downloaded 126 time(s))

Re: Problem with STL from Solidworks [message #12717 is a reply to message #12694 ] Tue, 11 May 2010 19:00 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Youknowwho4eva  is currently offline Youknowwho4eva
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
I work here
I'm a little confused as to how your joining them. Are you Boolean unioning them as solids?

Looking in meshlabs I see the issue. You still have the surfaces in-between the pieces. You have to delete them out of there.

[Updated on: Tue, 11 May 2010 19:04 UTC]

I learned a long time ago the wisest thing I can do is be on my own side, be an advocate for myself and others like me. -Maya Angelou
michael@shapeways.com Community Advocate
Re: Problem with STL from Solidworks [message #12728 is a reply to message #12717 ] Wed, 12 May 2010 00:04 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Ahhhh, There in fact is the real question.

Does Accutrans our MeshLab support boleen operations with multiple STL files?

If not Is there a FREE program that does?

Wow, I think I should post that.

... JEFF
Re: Problem with STL from Solidworks [message #12746 is a reply to message #12694 ] Wed, 12 May 2010 12:40 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Youknowwho4eva  is currently offline Youknowwho4eva
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
I work here
My software doesn't support Assemblies in STL apparently (opened fine in meshlab, in KC only one piece appeared), do you have them saved in SW format?

I learned a long time ago the wisest thing I can do is be on my own side, be an advocate for myself and others like me. -Maya Angelou
michael@shapeways.com Community Advocate
Re: Problem with STL from Solidworks [message #12747 is a reply to message #12746 ] Wed, 12 May 2010 12:51 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar bitstoatoms  is currently offline bitstoatoms
Go to my shop
I work here
Hi there,

I have not downloaded the files to inspect them,

But have you tried exporting the assembly from solidworks as a single STL file instead of as multiple STLs?

Duann Scott

Re: Problem with STL from Solidworks [message #12789 is a reply to message #12694 ] Thu, 13 May 2010 08:02 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar AO  is currently offline AO
Go to all my models
Hi Jsp,

You made an interesting object. Upload the SW file, complete I'll see what i can do for you.

Greetings AO
Re: Problem with STL from Solidworks [message #13174 is a reply to message #12694 ] Wed, 26 May 2010 02:07 UTC Go to previous message
Go to my shop
I finally solved the assembly issue. Once all the parts were assembled I FIXXED them into position and deleted all the coincidences.

I then went back into the part and shaved .00001" off of it.

Then when I updated the assembly the parts weren't touching anymore.

When it printed everything fused together anyway Smile

See Post:

Previous Topic:Drain hole width
Next Topic:Wall Thickness Example - Question

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.