Home » Community » Post Production Techniques » WSF Water Colour Dyeing
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
WSF Water Colour Dyeing [message #13083] Sat, 22 May 2010 12:35 UTC Go to next message
avatar Schmiegel  is currently offline Schmiegel
Go to my shop
Water Colour Dyeing

I had a WSF Gyroid that urgently needed some colouring. As I don't like bold colours I decided to do a little experiment. What would it look like to pour different tones of water colour through the WSF material to see what happens in the areas where to colours merge and what comes out at the gyroid's bottom. Turned out fairly okay but different than expected - I thought more of the colour would reach the gyroids bottom ...

index.php?t=getfile&id=3633&private=0

I took four colours for that experiment to make onion style circles around the trigonal gyroid axis. Yellow/Pink/Turquoise/Blue.
Pink was mostly eaten by Turquoise, Orange ran fine through the center and Blue was applied using a brush.

Finally I tried to give the coloured WSF thingy a smooth surface using an epoxy spray can. It needed only a few rounds before the first areas became smooth and after that it needed A LOT of rounds when spotting again and again areas that I had overlooked before. A Gyroid has much areas to overlook Smile
Well, when I was done I had used more than half of the 400 ml can ...

[Updated on: Sat, 22 May 2010 15:51 UTC]

Re: WSF Water Colour Dyeing [message #13084 is a reply to message #13083 ] Sat, 22 May 2010 14:02 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar gibell  is currently offline gibell
Go to my shop
Wow! It looks very nice! Great job! Shocked

Presumably, you must use the spray finish or it will run if it gets wet. How did you apply the watercolor colors?
Re: WSF Water Colour Dyeing [message #13090 is a reply to message #13084 ] Sat, 22 May 2010 15:50 UTC Go to previous message
avatar Schmiegel  is currently offline Schmiegel
Go to my shop
Thank you,

yes, the spray finish was used to make the object dust & water proof - (especially dust proof as for some strange reason I got lots of it at home Confused) - also I have read here about people applying it to get a nice glossy result.
Wanted to see that too.

For colouring I prepared some ml of liquid colour per tone. When pouring this from top over the previously drenched wet object it was interesting to see how the colour runs and spreads (about 1 cm from where it is flowing). But WSF was absorbing the colour more than I thought - so the objects bottom has clearly more subtle colouring.

[Updated on: Sat, 22 May 2010 19:54 UTC]

Previous Topic:Stainless Steel finishing
Next Topic:A class surface service?

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.