Home »  » 3D Design » How to hollow objects?
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
How to hollow objects? [message #12449] Tue, 04 May 2010 07:51 UTC Go to next message
avatar mimekunst  is currently offline mimekunst
Go to my shop
I have a 1-layer-surface. I want to hollow it out to have a constant thickness as the result. How do I do that in 3D Studio MAX 7?

[Updated on: Tue, 04 May 2010 10:41 UTC]

Interessen: Bahn, Humor und Outdoor
http://www.mimekunst.com
Re: How to hollow objects? [message #12466 is a reply to message #12449 ] Tue, 04 May 2010 15:09 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar WelshDesigns  is currently offline WelshDesigns
Go to my shop
if you have a simple surface, Max has a "shell" command. Go to Modifiers/Parametric Deformers then shell, and make sure you shell inside, not outside.. if you have a very complex surface, or have to offset too far, then polys will start crossing over each other and mesing up. Another way, is to make a copy of the object, pick all the polygons of the copy, invert them, then extrude them. then merge the 2 copies together. than can work in some cases pretty well also. There are tons of other ways too, but basicly you just need something "inside" the object, with the normals flipped to the inside. the printers interpret that as hollow.
Re: How to hollow objects? [message #12470 is a reply to message #12449 ] Tue, 04 May 2010 15:20 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Youknowwho4eva  is currently offline Youknowwho4eva
Go to my shop
I work here
I sometimes use a similar method as the inverting normals. My software has an offset faces command. So I'll create a copy, reduce all the faces by what ever thickness I want, and subtract it from the original. I only do that if Shelling wont work.

Your friendly neighborhood Moderman
michael@shapeways.com
Re: How to hollow objects? [message #12534 is a reply to message #12466 ] Thu, 06 May 2010 11:10 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar mimekunst  is currently offline mimekunst
Go to my shop
WelshDesigns wrote on Tue, 04 May 2010 15:09

if you have a simple surface, Max has a "shell" command. Go to Modifiers/Parametric Deformers then shell, and make sure you shell inside, not outside..

The edges make it non-manifold. When I click "select edges" they are shown to me, but how do I delete them? Additionally the edge, meaning the connection between the outer and inner shell does not exist.

The "select and uniform scale" does not work as the object is too complex. There is no continuous wall-thickness anymore.

Isn't there a script available to do that?

[Updated on: Thu, 06 May 2010 11:12 UTC]

Interessen: Bahn, Humor und Outdoor
http://www.mimekunst.com
Re: How to hollow objects? [message #12541 is a reply to message #12534 ] Thu, 06 May 2010 14:28 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar virtox  is currently offline virtox
Go to my shop
For the inner shell only, you can try a relax or meshsmooth modifier.

Depending on the shape this can be helpful in disentangling the inner shell afte applying the standard shell modifier.

And final step use boolean with a simple cylinder to cut a hole trough the shell, to let the support material out.

- Artist / Engineer / Designer / Shopowner / Volunteer / Moderator -
Re: How to hollow objects? [message #12570 is a reply to message #12534 ] Fri, 07 May 2010 05:54 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar WelshDesigns  is currently offline WelshDesigns
Go to my shop
seems to me you shouldn't have any open edges after the shell command. I don't use it tons, I have my own script using the copy/flip/extrude/merge method, but the whole point of a shell is to not have any open edges. I think something isn't working for that paticular surface. You might try to make an editable poly. go to edge mode. then pick the 2 open edges and try to "bridge" them. that joins the 2 curves tother with a straight surface. But it sounds like something is too complex with the surface, or just too small of curves, for the amount of shell or offset you're trying to accomplish. Just hard to tell without seeing a picture of the model at least.
Re: How to hollow objects? [message #12898 is a reply to message #12449 ] Sun, 16 May 2010 11:49 UTC Go to previous message
avatar pior  is currently offline pior
Go to all my models
Hi there, first post.

Shell works well for simple, lowpoly surfaces but will indeed cause issues if the meshing is too dense.

There is a much, much more easy way to hollow objects tho. Simply throw in some spheres fitting inside the mass of your object. Convert them to edit poly, flip their faces, and attach them to your original shape. There you have it, spherical holes inside your print.

A good side effect is that it gives a certain cellular strength to things, as opposed to making everything hollow.

Hope this helps (I use it quite a bit, works great)

P

Previous Topic:Clear sandstone
Next Topic:Complex assemblies

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.