Home » Support » 3D Applications » Rhino question; constructing gears
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Rhino question; constructing gears [message #12802] Thu, 13 May 2010 14:29 UTC Go to next message
avatar LatexSpikes  is currently offline LatexSpikes
Go to my shop
I'm still learning the program, so bear with me. Smile

I'm trying to build a beveled gear. I have the surface(s) of the gear where the teeth meet, and a truncated cone with a hole in it as the base (highlighted), but I can't figure out out the get the top & bottom of the teeth. Any help would be appreciated.

http://img248.imageshack.us/img248/8840/gearj.jpg
Re: Rhino question; constructing gears [message #12803 is a reply to message #12802 ] Thu, 13 May 2010 14:36 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Dotsan  is currently offline Dotsan
Go to my shop
Hi, you should be able to loft the edges.
V

www.dotsan.com

www.dotsan.com
Re: Rhino question; constructing gears [message #12806 is a reply to message #12802 ] Thu, 13 May 2010 15:01 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Youknowwho4eva  is currently offline Youknowwho4eva
Go to my shop
I work here
I don't know much about rhino, but in my software I'd draw a line between the 2 ends on both top and bottom, and create a boundary surface. Join into a solid, and boolean union with the base.

The Mad Moder
michael@shapeways.com
Re: Rhino question; constructing gears [message #12808 is a reply to message #12803 ] Thu, 13 May 2010 15:02 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar LatexSpikes  is currently offline LatexSpikes
Go to my shop
Ok, I'm trying that but all it gives me is more surfaces and no solids, and I still can't BooleanUnion a tooth to the main hub. Is there a way to tell Rhino to merge all the surfaces of a tooth into one solid?
Re: Rhino question; constructing gears [message #12811 is a reply to message #12802 ] Thu, 13 May 2010 17:24 UTC Go to previous message
avatar Youknowwho4eva  is currently offline Youknowwho4eva
Go to my shop
I work here
In my software it's called stitch and un-stitch. You could do it two ways. Easiest would be stitch and union. Sometimes in my software, it complains about it (rarely) so I have to un-stitch the face I'm attaching it to, trim the surfaces to each other, and stitch it all back together.

The Mad Moder
michael@shapeways.com

Previous Topic:Need help re wall thickness in Rhino
Next Topic:Got really stuck again.