Home » Community » It arrived! » GL Ring
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
GL Ring [message #12307] Thu, 29 April 2010 17:06 UTC Go to next message
avatar TommySaysSoWhat  is currently offline TommySaysSoWhat
Go to all my models
Yeah, I ordered another ring:
http://www.shapeways.com/model/109006/gl_ring_v2.html

This one is nice. It has a lower profile than some of the other rings around. There's a lot of facetting around the band. Looks cool, but I'm not sure it's intended. The groove around the band adds interest. It stands out more as I sand the band smooth. Alas, it does get marred around the back where the brass infiltration sprue was attached. No prob, it's not like that's visible when wearing.

index.php?t=getfile&id=3448&private=0
index.php?t=getfile&id=3449&private=0
index.php?t=getfile&id=3450&private=0

I was a little worried that the indent around the lantern wasn't deep enough to let me sand the logo flat. So I took some sandpaper to it while watching the Twins blow a 5 run lead against the Tigers. It wasn't a problem.

index.php?t=getfile&id=3453&private=0
index.php?t=getfile&id=3454&private=0

• Attachment: Unground1.JPG
    (Size: 27.27KB, Downloaded 563 time(s))

• Attachment: Unground2.JPG
    (Size: 24.31KB, Downloaded 563 time(s))

• Attachment: Unground3.JPG
    (Size: 29.59KB, Downloaded 574 time(s))

• Attachment: Ground1.JPG
    (Size: 45.15KB, Downloaded 562 time(s))

• Attachment: Ground2.JPG
    (Size: 30.95KB, Downloaded 568 time(s))

Re: GL Ring [message #12308 is a reply to message #12307 ] Thu, 29 April 2010 17:11 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Youknowwho4eva  is currently offline Youknowwho4eva
Go to my shop
I work here
They look great, now I imagine how much I could get done while watching the Orioles blow leads. I'd have everything in my house polished!

Your friendly neighborhood Moderman
michael@shapeways.com
Re: GL Ring [message #12317 is a reply to message #12308 ] Thu, 29 April 2010 19:15 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
Orioles? Oh, you have my complete sympathy.

I will say this, though: Orioles fans are great. In years past, we would take the train up to Baltimore to see the Twins at Camden Yards. Always a blast.

Of course, this year it's home to Minnesota for Target Field.
Re: GL Ring [message #12319 is a reply to message #12307 ] Thu, 29 April 2010 19:49 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Youknowwho4eva  is currently offline Youknowwho4eva
Go to my shop
I work here
Luckily I haven't wasted too much time watching them. I've watched one pitch of one game and that was the last pitch of the win over the Yankee's 2 days ago. The rest I've listened too in disgust over the radio while delivering pizza's. Oh well, they could go without any wins and they'd still reluctantly be my team.

Back to your ring, did you draw it or order it from someone? I think the detail on the band would look better raised rather than indented, have it be rounded and recede to the back of the ring.

Your friendly neighborhood Moderman
michael@shapeways.com
Re: GL Ring [message #12323 is a reply to message #12319 ] Thu, 29 April 2010 20:53 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar ewdicus  is currently offline ewdicus
Go to all my models
Wow, glad to see it was deep enough. Great job with the sanding! How's the fit? Do you plan on leaving it in it's steel finish? I was considering using model paints after sanding.
Re: GL Ring [message #12324 is a reply to message #12307 ] Thu, 29 April 2010 21:59 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
@Youknowwho4eva: It's ewdicus's design. I can't design my way out of a paper bag.

@ewdicus: I have pretty small fingers, so it fits on my middle finger, but is a little loose. I'm not at all sure what to do after it's nice and smooth. Ideally, something that would tint the metal green would be good. Or, I may order one in White Detail and paint that. I had a smaller GL ring that I painted. Metallic green for the band, black for the logo indents, and glow-in-the-dark green for the logo. I really liked it. And then I lost it. I suspect one of the cats stole it. It's probably under the refrigerator.
Re: GL Ring [message #12381 is a reply to message #12324 ] Sat, 01 May 2010 18:34 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar lensman  is currently offline lensman
Go to my shop
Looks good. What did you use to polish it?

Glenn ------ My Website Third Dimension Jewellery
Re: GL Ring [message #12400 is a reply to message #12381 ] Mon, 03 May 2010 01:29 UTC Go to previous message
Go to all my models
Just 360 wet/dry sandpaper, so far.

Previous Topic:Gear Snake by OSKAR
Next Topic:catwoman

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.