Home » Community » It arrived! » Goatse Belt Buckle
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Goatse Belt Buckle [message #12221] Tue, 27 April 2010 14:18 UTC Go to next message
avatar fridgehead  is currently offline fridgehead
Go to all my models
I'm amazed! This is the first thing I've sent to you guys to get printed and it definitely wont be the last Very Happy
The pin is perfectly sized and the bridge of plastic on the back (that holds it to the belt) has printed perfectly too

http://noproblemshere.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2010/04/DSC05163-1024x685.jpg

The next step is to prepare this for metal casting! Thanks Shapeways!
Re: Goatse Belt Buckle [message #12225 is a reply to message #12221 ] Tue, 27 April 2010 14:41 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Youknowwho4eva  is currently offline Youknowwho4eva
Go to my shop
I work here
Looks good, would it be cheaper to print in stainless than casting it? Either way, share your pics and experiences. Are you planning on casting it yourself or are you sending it off to be cast?

The Mad Moder
michael@shapeways.com
Re: Goatse Belt Buckle [message #12227 is a reply to message #12225 ] Tue, 27 April 2010 15:31 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
in no way is it cheaper to get it printed in steel! It comes out near enough $120 whereas i have RTV silicone and pewter laying about from previous projects Razz
I'll have a go at casting it myself first, I've done some simple casts before so this is just more practice Smile If that fails then yeah, it'll probably get sent off to be cast properly (or at least have someone else make the molds for me)
Re: Goatse Belt Buckle [message #12258 is a reply to message #12227 ] Tue, 27 April 2010 21:03 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar chris89  is currently offline chris89
Go to my shop
nice subject Razz
Re: Goatse Belt Buckle [message #12382 is a reply to message #12227 ] Sat, 01 May 2010 18:39 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar lensman  is currently offline lensman
Go to my shop
Please include a post here when you do cast it. I would love to see the process and results.

Glenn ------ My Website Third Dimension Jewellery
Re: Goatse Belt Buckle [message #12461 is a reply to message #12382 ] Tue, 04 May 2010 14:40 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
Well heres the final piece (well the first one I've cast, theres a bit more refinement needed on the mold)
http://noproblemshere.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/DSCF1083-1024x768.jpg

The original piece was hollow to save money on printing costs, but when cast I thought it might be too weak to hold a belt in place so I filled in the holes with a plastacine-type-thing I had laying about. The belt loop on the back had to be snipped off as well, it wasnt castable as it is in the design. After snipping that off and creating two new loop holders out of clay I started the mold making..

I made a silicone mold using a rubber called RTV101, but first coating the piece in many layers of spray-primer. I think there are threads on here about that, so check them for more information
Once the mold was cured I had to add some air-holes and scrape out all of the plastacine that hadnt released itself from the rubber (the mold release stuff didnt seem to work here..).
After a few failed casts I managed to get one that worked Very Happy I polished that with a dremel polishing thing and sanded it to give it a more roughened look (it looked too blingy when shiny). I drilled some holes in the belt loop on the back and added a piece of bent wire to hold it in place.

Its a little heavy but works perfectly, I may try to cast a hollow one and see how it holds up.

Next step: tidying the back of the buckle up and listing them on Etsy. Then hopefully I can start making Tubgirl and 2Girl1Cup ones...
Re: Goatse Belt Buckle [message #12462 is a reply to message #12221 ] Tue, 04 May 2010 14:44 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
I work here
Looks like it came out great. Is it me or is it upside down? I don't know if I want to see a 2girl1cup either Shocked

The Mad Moder
michael@shapeways.com
Re: Goatse Belt Buckle [message #12465 is a reply to message #12221 ] Tue, 04 May 2010 15:08 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
oh dont worry, it'll be tasteful Razz I have a shirt that I designed a while ago that could be made into one

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2386/2520217557_ae929e34b5_m.jpg

Anyway.

The metal buckle is the right way up, I was holding the plastic one the wrong way round Razz I forgot to add the Ring on his index finger too..
Re: Goatse Belt Buckle [message #12467 is a reply to message #12221 ] Tue, 04 May 2010 15:15 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
I work here
Ah I see, very nice. A play off of a certain coffee company.

I was saying it appeared upside down, because it it were the person wearing the belt the thumbs would be up, for them to be oriented that way the person holding the ring would be upside down and behind you.

The Mad Moder
michael@shapeways.com
Re: Goatse Belt Buckle [message #12497 is a reply to message #12221 ] Wed, 05 May 2010 11:06 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar 4m3D  is currently offline 4m3D
Go to my shop
Thanks for sharing the casting process! Good luck with the esty thing. I'll be keeping an eye out for it!

Todd
www.4m3D.com
Re: Goatse Belt Buckle [message #12502 is a reply to message #12497 ] Wed, 05 May 2010 12:50 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar joris  is currently offline joris
Go to all my models
The T-shirt, the T-shirt. It is perhaps too funny. I just spit coffee everywhere.
Re: Goatse Belt Buckle [message #12517 is a reply to message #12221 ] Wed, 05 May 2010 19:11 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar virtox  is currently offline virtox
Go to my shop
Nice buckle ! Razz

But I have to agree, it looks a bit upside down ?

As for the "two girls one cup"...
If you don't know what it is, keep it that way !
I didn't...
So I googled it...
Wish I didn't..
Bit queasy now... Cool

- Artist / Engineer / Designer / Shopowner / Volunteer / Moderator -
Re: Goatse Belt Buckle [message #12586 is a reply to message #12221 ] Fri, 07 May 2010 18:02 UTC Go to previous message
avatar chris89  is currently offline chris89
Go to my shop
i vote for tubgirl, that one didn't get enough attention!

Previous Topic:catwoman
Next Topic:Small Heart for my Honey Test