Home » Community » It arrived! » Hilbert cubes!
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Hilbert cubes! [message #12144] Mon, 26 April 2010 15:36 UTC Go to next message
avatar srjskam  is currently offline srjskam
Go to my shop
Ok, here are my first designs and also orders in fabulous meatspace 3D:

index.php?t=getfile&id=3420&private=0

They are Hilbert curves in 3 dimensions (Shapeways pages: leftmost, middle one and rightmost), that is, a single 'line' filling space, preserving locality (keeping the 1D adjacent parts of the curve as close to each other as possible in 3D also)

This makes them pretty flexible for their size (I wouldn't recommend printing in anything other than WSF (& BSF etc), detail materials might crack)... The smaller ones are quite rigid if you don't poke them, but the biggest one can't support its weight and you can turn it inside out:

index.php?t=getfile&id=3421&private=0

Here's a Youtube video to show exactly how flobby it is... I don't dare to test it, but I think it could stretch enough to be a necklace Smile . (And here's another with the smaller version).

The print quality was higher than I expected, you can't see the layers anywhere. The smallest one is a bit grainy (of course no more compared to the rest, but for its scale), but you really have to stick it to your nose to notice it:

index.php?t=getfile&id=3422&private=0

The end. A great time to live, drawing stuff and making it real by clicking a button was something we dreamed of when we were kids... (Kudos to the guy who printed his kids' drawings, btw).

[Updated on: Tue, 27 April 2010 06:44 UTC]

Re: Hilbert cubes! [message #12163 is a reply to message #12144 ] Mon, 26 April 2010 19:18 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Eeppium  is currently offline Eeppium
Go to my shop
Wow nice!

Didn´t expect it to "explode" like that Laughing
Was it modelled by hand, or did you use some program to make it?
Re: Hilbert cubes! [message #12169 is a reply to message #12144 ] Mon, 26 April 2010 20:44 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar srjskam  is currently offline srjskam
Go to my shop
Made it with Blender (yay open source \o/ )... The recipe is crudely like this: make a towel-hook -like thing from 3 torus halves -> make 8 copies, move & rotate, connect with torus segments/tubes -> join objects, remove duplicate vertices -> iterate last two steps as many times as you want (or as long as your computer can handle... I actually managed to crash my system because I used unnecessarily many faces with the tori...)
Re: Hilbert cubes! [message #12174 is a reply to message #12144 ] Mon, 26 April 2010 22:57 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar tones3-d  is currently offline tones3-d
Go to my shop
I love the big cube; nice work!

Agreed: it's a great time to live!!

I used to draw this sort of thing with pencil and paper, much less densely packed, though.
Re: Hilbert cubes! [message #12186 is a reply to message #12144 ] Tue, 27 April 2010 08:10 UTC Go to previous message
avatar virtox  is currently offline virtox
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Shocked Amazing !

Looks like Strong & Flexible just got an extra dimension !

- Artist / Engineer / Designer / Shopowner / Volunteer / Moderator -

Previous Topic:"Nôol arrived"!!
Next Topic:RC model helicopter cockpit parts

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.