Home » Support » 3D Printing » Can I solder or glue printed stainless steel?
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Can I solder or glue printed stainless steel? [message #10537] Sun, 07 March 2010 10:36 UTC Go to next message
avatar dakota_in_the_sky  is currently offline dakota_in_the_sky
Go to my shop
Hello all,

I just ordered a few parts and am excited to get them. I wonder if anyone has soldered the stainless steel parts.

Does anyone know what the best type of glue to use if soldering doesn't work?

Thank you in advance
Re: Can I solder or glue printed stainless steel? [message #10668 is a reply to message #10537 ] Thu, 11 March 2010 22:30 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar berky93  is currently offline berky93
Go to my shop
I see no reason why you wouldn't be able to solder the stainless steel material. but if you can't get it to work for some reason, you could probably just use hot glue. The fact that the materials are naturally textured from the printing process means that glue should hold nicely.
Re: Can I solder or glue printed stainless steel? [message #11394 is a reply to message #10668 ] Sat, 03 April 2010 17:25 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar patmat2350  is currently offline patmat2350
Go to my shop
I'd try silver solder, with the appropriate flux.
Re: Can I solder or glue printed stainless steel? [message #11837 is a reply to message #10537 ] Sat, 17 April 2010 20:30 UTC Go to previous message
avatar GlenG  is currently offline GlenG
Go to all my models
You can DEFINITELY solder this material. I do it on a weekly basis.
Soft, silver bearing, lead free solders using acid type paste flux will work and are easy to find at hardware and plumbing supplies. But, the strength is limited and these materials tend to spread out when they flow and so require a lot of clean up after soldering. Also the color will never match the surrounding material.

For permanent, nearly invisible results hard silver solders (like a jeweler would use), or industrial silver solder alloys work best. Look for a minimum of 45% sliver content. Types recommended for soldering stainless steel work very well. You will also need a hi temp flux. In the USA this is referred to as "black flux". Suppliers of welding products should have these materials. You will also need a hot torch designed for brazing or welding. Small torch tips that provide concentrated heat are a must on small parts.

If you understand what i have just said, have at it. Otherwise, redesign your parts.

Best to ya,
-G

"Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art."
Leonardo da Vinci

Previous Topic:Printing smoothness and minimum thickness.
Next Topic:WSD strength and painting

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.