Our Gift to You: 20% off your own designs in Strong & Flexible Plastic through Dec 23, with promo code MY2014 · details
Home » Community » It arrived! » 3D stainless ball and socket joint
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
3D stainless ball and socket joint [message #11708] Mon, 12 April 2010 13:04 UTC Go to next message
avatar Youknowwho4eva  is currently offline Youknowwho4eva
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
I work here
Because of a little trouble, it came almost a month after I ordered it, but it arrived and it worked first shot. Ok I cheated a little bit, I had it set up 2 different ways to see if one, the other, or both ways would or wouldn't work. Well one way fused but the other, worked perfectly. With a snug push into place, the ball is locked into the socket. After playing with it all weekend it now moves very smoothly in the socket. I showed it around and almost everyone said so?. SO? its a damn 3D printed stainless steel freely moving joint! Anyways hope you all will appreciate it more.index.php?t=getfile&id=3239&private=0

• Attachment: photo(2).jpg
    (Size: 148.01KB, Downloaded 1001 time(s))

• Attachment: IMG_0017.MOV
    (Size: 622.77KB, Downloaded 156 time(s))

I learned a long time ago the wisest thing I can do is be on my own side, be an advocate for myself and others like me. -Maya Angelou
michael@shapeways.com Community Advocate
Re: 3D stainless ball and socket joint [message #11711 is a reply to message #11708 ] Mon, 12 April 2010 14:20 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar kristopher.reed  is currently offline kristopher.reed
Go to all my models
Sweet awesomeness. You got any dimensions/tolerances/drawings for it? Dimensionally, what worked and what failed? Looks like the socket is only half a sphere, but has two little arms that extend past that point to hold the ball in place, while reducing insertion force?
Re: 3D stainless ball and socket joint [message #11713 is a reply to message #11708 ] Mon, 12 April 2010 14:49 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
I work here
Ok, here's the item that I ordered.

http://www.shapeways.com/model/92071/joint_test.html

It was a total of 7 pieces. The tiny ones didn't come out, I figured as much, so I was planning on having to use something else, The idea was those larger small parts would slide into the end joint, and the two tiny pieces would hold them in place, well all the holes fused Sad oh well because the other section worked perfectly. was able to with some force get it to snap in and still hold firmly in place. I'll get you some dimensions in a bit. a little busy atm.

I learned a long time ago the wisest thing I can do is be on my own side, be an advocate for myself and others like me. -Maya Angelou
Re: 3D stainless ball and socket joint [message #11719 is a reply to message #11708 ] Mon, 12 April 2010 17:49 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
I work here
Ok, got some time to give you some dimensions. The Ball is .2" in diameter. The socket is .22". The clasps are .04" off center so at the tightest point the diameter is .197". The tips are rounded so that it's a little easier to snap in place, and seeing its .003" tighter then the diameter of the ball, it holds in place.

index.php?t=getfile&id=3243&private=0

Re: 3D stainless ball and socket joint [message #11723 is a reply to message #11708 ] Mon, 12 April 2010 19:29 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar rawkstar320  is currently offline rawkstar320
Go to my shop
thats awesome. I have yet to order any stainless Sad

But...someday.

Aut Viam Inveniam Aut Faciam
Check out http://JakeDrews.Com and http://WondrousWidgets.Com for more designs by Jake!
Re: 3D stainless ball and socket joint [message #11724 is a reply to message #11708 ] Mon, 12 April 2010 19:34 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
I work here
Well I made it so you can order the working piece, piece by piece. A bracelet worth would cost you $62.10 (estimated based on 18 pieces would give you about 9 inches in length, the length of a standard large male bracelet) http://www.shapeways.com/model/110460/single_joint.html

Re: 3D stainless ball and socket joint [message #11926 is a reply to message #11724 ] Tue, 20 April 2010 14:29 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar TreadshotA1  is currently offline TreadshotA1
Go to my shop
Cool! Just what i've been looking for. Does it work in any other material, though?
Re: 3D stainless ball and socket joint [message #11932 is a reply to message #11708 ] Tue, 20 April 2010 15:23 UTC Go to previous message
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
I work here
I designed this specifically for stainless, and only ordered in stainless, but this same sort of design should work for other materials, and be able to be more secure, as the knobs holding the ball in could be larger as they'd be more flexible to allow the ball into the socket. I had to make it so there was just under clearance so that with force it'd pop into place, and I'm sure with enough force you'd be able to pull it apart again, as stainless doesn't like to budge as much as say plastic would. I would not try it with sandstone or glass.

Previous Topic:Toy dump truck
Next Topic:iCharge - Pocket AC charger for iPhone.

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.