Home » Community » General Discussion » 3d printing in glass
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
3d printing in glass [message #10882] Wed, 17 March 2010 23:53 UTC Go to next message
avatar dadrummond  is currently offline dadrummond
Go to my shop
Straight from Bathsheba: "Glass printing is coming online. No, wait – Glass printing is coming online! This is the coolest thing since metal printing, which was the coolest thing since lost-waxcasting. You heard it here first: right now is the most incredible time ever to be a sculptor."

http://www.bathsheba.com/news/

Shapeways -- what are the odds of giving us glass printing?

------------------
Elytra on Shapeways: http://www.shapeways.com/shops/elytra
Re: 3d printing in glass [message #11679 is a reply to message #10882 ] Mon, 12 April 2010 01:22 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar GlenG  is currently offline GlenG
Go to all my models
Matt,
You will be amazed by the glass material. I work with the team that is developing this process. Just keep in mind the material is brittle (it's GLASS duh). Designs will need to be robust with smooth filleted transitions if you want objects to be at all durable. The mantra needs to be: "there is a difference between what is possible and what is practical" unless finished goods are to be kept in a curio cabinet .
I have been playing with vitreous enamels as a means for coloring these glass objects. This is a process that will likely not be offered to the public, but could be done by anyone with a modest budget, clever hands and the will to learn how.

-G

"Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art."
Leonardo da Vinci
Re: 3d printing in glass [message #11756 is a reply to message #10882 ] Wed, 14 April 2010 14:47 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar dadrummond  is currently offline dadrummond
Go to my shop
Looks like the probability is 1.0. Smile Exciting!

------------------
Elytra on Shapeways: http://www.shapeways.com/shops/elytra
Re: 3d printing in glass [message #11758 is a reply to message #11756 ] Wed, 14 April 2010 15:15 UTC Go to previous message
avatar eriks  is currently offline eriks
Go to my shop
I work here
It was actually funny because we of course all saw this post here at shapeways, but we couldn't really answer for obvious reasons. Very Happy

Although it did cross my mind to reply that we didn't see much requests for it in the requested material thread Laughing

Previous Topic:Shapeways on FOX Business TV
Next Topic:Mesh taking ages to verify.

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.