Home » Community » General Discussion » Community collaboration project
Search Search  
 () 2 Vote(s)
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
icon6.gif  Community collaboration project [message #11389] Sat, 03 April 2010 14:54 UTC Go to next message
avatar virtox  is currently offline virtox
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Hi everyone !

While the Shapies are always busy improving the site and the service, I thought it would be fun if the community members got together and build something !
As there are many diverse artists and engineers here, it should not be too difficult to come up with something awesome Cool

So I was wondering who was up for a collaborative project on Shapeways? If you are interested, apply by posting in the topic.

I have no idea on the specifics. but many of you have already shown, that nothing is really impossible here Very Happy

Seems logical to start with ideas and applications, so what shall it be..

A compressed-air powered bird with flapping wings perhaps ?
Or a multi-functional super-diy-tool-thingy ?
A windwalking robot ?
A cheap 3d-printer ?
A second Joris ?
Erm, but anything goes, it could could involve 3d-printing (duh Wink)
I meant even using extra parts/pencils/hardware/software could be an option.

But it would probably be wise to start with something simple Rolling Eyes
And to keep things clean and simple it would be nice to make the project available under the creative commons license thingy?

Stijn

[Updated on: Sat, 03 April 2010 20:20 UTC]

- Artist / Engineer / Designer / Shopowner / Volunteer / Moderator -
Re: Community collaboration project [message #11420 is a reply to message #11389 ] Sun, 04 April 2010 16:02 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar kristopher.reed  is currently offline kristopher.reed
Go to all my models
It sounds like a cool idea. I don't know how much I have to offer, but you can count me "up".
Re: Community collaboration project [message #11421 is a reply to message #11389 ] Sun, 04 April 2010 20:20 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Schorhr  is currently offline Schorhr
Go to my shop
All great ideas, though these two sound the most tempting Smile
virtox wrote on Sat, 03 April 2010 14:54

A cheap 3d-printer ?
A second Joris ?

The main problem would really be the different skill levels and programms used.
Something "artsy" would probably work best, though I am really excited what will happen.
Some sort of mechanical functional model would be neat.
Re: Community collaboration project [message #11423 is a reply to message #11421 ] Sun, 04 April 2010 22:54 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar eriks  is currently offline eriks
Go to my shop
I work here
Perhaps you could come up with something akin to photoshop tennis? Just start with something simple and each "player" adds something or changes something to the model.
Means a lot less planning then actually tackling project and if the concept works as good in 3D as it does in 2D, the results can be amazing.
Re: Community collaboration project [message #11425 is a reply to message #11423 ] Sun, 04 April 2010 23:08 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar dadrummond  is currently offline dadrummond
Go to my shop
Great suggestion, eriks!

An idea to keep things practical -- and printable -- each participant in the (possibly multiplayer) ping-pong match both posts the model and uploads it for MeshMedic's approval, so that we keep some confidence that the growing object is manifold...

Oh -- count me in!

------------------
Elytra on Shapeways: http://www.shapeways.com/shops/elytra
Re: Community collaboration project [message #11437 is a reply to message #11389 ] Mon, 05 April 2010 12:45 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Youknowwho4eva  is currently offline Youknowwho4eva
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
I work here
I've been thinking about this for a while now. But I always come to the problem of how to collaborate. Not only the different software but If one person designs a nut, and another designs a bolt. How likely is it that that nut would fit that bolt. I do have an idea though... I've been thinking about designing a transforming robot of sorts. A robot in disguise if you like. And thinking about this project, if we had say a torso. And anyone could design limbs for it. We'd just have guide lines for making it fit and work. Say for the arms, have this joint, with this much clearance, arm length and such. Now it wouldn't have to be a Power Ranger/ Transformer but the process could travel down that path of co-operation. One Master blue print and a certain about of freedom for component creation.

I learned a long time ago the wisest thing I can do is be on my own side, be an advocate for myself and others like me. -Maya Angelou
michael@shapeways.com Community Advocate
Re: Community collaboration project [message #11438 is a reply to message #11389 ] Mon, 05 April 2010 12:58 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Great !

First of, skill should not be a real issue, if you have a great idea but no way to implement it, just post it, someone else probably will Smile

I would prefer to keep the actual mesh-medic out of it Wink
As we have no control over it's outcome, and wouldn't be sure if next iterations would interfere with previous fixes.
But it does seem wise to keep everything manifold, uploadable and printable from the start Smile

Keeping polygon count would probably be wise, as not everyone has software hardware that can easily handle 500000 polygons Wink

I too was thinking along the lines of tennis/ping-pong as a first strategy, should things become more complex, we can always divert to group therapy Wink

What do you guys prefer :

Single thread :
One modeler at work at any one time ? So someone "claims" an iteration, works on it for a maximum amount of time and posts the result ? Some sort of general approval and on to the next iteration ?
This would need an initial seed.

Multi-thread :
Everyone who feels like it supplements an iteration and we vote which one to continue on as the base for the next iteration?
So to start we could all post a model for the seed and pick one.

Rules and regulations wise : we should probably have some, but let's keep those to a minimum. Don't think we'll have the same trouble as other forums as the Shapeways community mostly consists of "model citizens" Wink

So:

Workflow : Single threaded/Multithreaded ?
Project type : Art / Mechanical / Both in One / Two simultaneous projects? / None, just let's see what happens?

Material : Strong & Flexible ? Or do we go for color ?
Filetype : .stl ?
Base units : mm ?
Maximum polygon-count added per iteration : 10,000/no-limit ?
Iteration time-frame : one week ?
Maximum price/volume : $25 ?

Participants so far:
Virtox (stijn)
Ado (Adrian)
Tones-3d (Tony)
kristopher.reed (Kristopher)
Schorhr (Marcus)
Dadrummond (David)
Youknowwho4eva (Michael)

And I guess, Eriks just volunteered to be a referee Razz
Nah not really Wink But should I add your name to the list ?

Anything or anyone else ?

Stijn

[Updated on: Mon, 05 April 2010 13:20 UTC]

Re: Community collaboration project [message #11440 is a reply to message #11389 ] Mon, 05 April 2010 13:27 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar aeron203  is currently offline aeron203
Go to my shop
This sounds like a lot of fun, and I'd like to be involved. There are tons of projects we would all like to do, but are probably just too big for one person to tackle.

A robot is good example of the ultimate goal of the collaboration, but I am thinking it should start with some more basic projects to sort out how this is all going to work.

The discussion seemed to have moved toward how meshes will fit together, but we should not forget the design planning, which for me is about 90% of the process. I hope we can focus as much as possible on establishing open communication and sharing ideas early on in the concept phase, which will be longer than some might expect. Without this awareness it risks becoming only a collaborative modeling project, when what we really want here is Collaborative Design- everyone needs to be able to make their idea real by using technology and teamwork to solve the shared challenge, freeing us all to follow our own creative path.

Aaron - 40westdesigns.com/blog
Re: Community collaboration project [message #11443 is a reply to message #11389 ] Mon, 05 April 2010 14:33 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Haha, I'm not so sure what WE want ? Wink
But you are right, there are multiple different concepts getting intermingled here.
Good catch, I got lost in my enthusiasm.

So there's at least two now :

- A collaborative/iterative/ping-pong model/artpiece.

- A collaborative project involving more complex stuff.

I'm guessing there is enough interest to explore both.
Let's use this topic for all the wild ideas, and as soon as enough people agree on a single project and rule-set, they split of into a new topics ?

Stijn

[Updated on: Mon, 05 April 2010 14:34 UTC]

Re: Community collaboration project [message #11445 is a reply to message #11389 ] Mon, 05 April 2010 15:16 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
I work here
I think we should start with what the final thing should "do".
Is it an object to look nice? (just be a piece of art)
An object to fulfill a certain need?
An object that performs a certain task?
An object that brings new light to 3D printing?
I say we find a problem, create our own ways to solve it. And join forces to make the best combination of the solutions possible.

We shoulda made this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cbfe2_2DDc0 Shocked

[Updated on: Mon, 05 April 2010 15:19 UTC]

I learned a long time ago the wisest thing I can do is be on my own side, be an advocate for myself and others like me. -Maya Angelou
Re: Community collaboration project [message #11451 is a reply to message #11389 ] Mon, 05 April 2010 17:26 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
I would also suggest that we shoot for something where parts could be developed in parallel (as much as possible, although some parts will be inherently sequential), with an initial design for everyone to work off of. That way a laundry-list of tasks could be made, and people could simply choose tasks to complete, and when they complete one, they could grab another. This method, I think, would adapt best to different schedules and work abilities (and also help eliminate waiting around for other people to finish something).

Of course, I am just babbling. We really should figure out what we all want to do, first (with the "how to do it" being considered along the way, of course). Not being aesthetically-abled, I would tend to want to do something more mechanically-oriented. Of course, aesthetics and mechanics could be combined into either a mechanical device with a nice aesthetic design, or an artpiece that moves (a kinetic sculpture of some sort).

And for some reason I am going to suggest a mechanical chess set where you can push down on a piece and have it mechanically lash out (not motorized, but rather acting from the button press) at the piece in front/side/diagonal of it (as the killing move). It would incorporate both mechanical (a killing action for each piece-type) and aesthetic designs. It would also be less expensive to develop, since test printing could be done on single pieces as they are developed, while at the same time it would be a large end-product (the entire set). The project would also be fairly parallel, since the mechanical development could be done in parallel, yet mechanical methods, designs, etc, could be easily shared conceptually as they are developed. The aesthetic part could be done either before (mechanical designers chop up and actuate aesthetic models), in parallel (work around design specifications), or after (aesthetic design is built around the mechanical workings). Anyways, just thinking out loud and throwing something random out there, maybe more to help the brainstorming than to actually suggest something.

[Updated on: Mon, 05 April 2010 17:29 UTC]

Re: Community collaboration project [message #11454 is a reply to message #11451 ] Mon, 05 April 2010 19:44 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
I kinda like the idea of such a multi-part action-chess set Smile
I would imagine something sci-fi ish, to allow all sorts of 3d-printed weirdness in action?
With WSF mechanics and a nice full-color "skin" parts..

Or perhaps just a chess-set of kinetic sculptures ?

Am I right in thinking a lot off people have a "chess-set" on their shapeways todo long list ?

[Updated on: Mon, 05 April 2010 19:51 UTC]

Re: Community collaboration project [message #11457 is a reply to message #11389 ] Mon, 05 April 2010 20:18 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
I work here
*raises his hand* yea, been thinking about it for a while.

Re: Community collaboration project [message #11468 is a reply to message #11389 ] Tue, 06 April 2010 03:04 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar rawkstar320  is currently offline rawkstar320
Go to my shop
Count me in for sure. I have a strong background in all things mechanical (Im working on a Bachelors in Product Design Engineering Technology) so I like stuff that is mechanical in nature.

Here is an idea, it kind of goes along with the parallel design idea:

What if (using the robot example [we need a new example]) some started by designing the torso of the said robot. After that, people just started designing the arms, legs, head, gadgets and what not for the robot. We later compiled the *best* designs, voted, and started assembling the robot.

From this point, we could essentially have "upgrade" kits for the robot where we have the original robot, but you can get a different set of legs for him(her) or arms, or a new head. or heck, a new torso(because by this point someone will have decided to design a new torso)

All these designs could be linked by a common tag so you just search for "The Co Creator Robot) and you get all kinds of different legs, arms, torsos and such. Since everyone (hopefully) followed specific design instructions, you SHOULD be able to get some legs, arms, a head, and a torso...and have an awesome robot.

Im pretty sure my idea changed a little towards the end, so I guess its really 2 ideas that are somewhat related to each other. The really cool thing i like about the second project is that we have a specific model to design, but ANYONE at ANYTIME can join in and add a "mod" to the final design.

This is exciting...maybe we should have a web base with a forum of our own so we can more easily keep track of all these different parts? Plus, it could have all the design specifications in one easy to access place for all future projects. (rules, clearance for moving parts, etc) Im game for setting one up, i know of the perfect site. (We would of course link back to Shapeways Razz )

***Way Excited***

Aut Viam Inveniam Aut Faciam
Check out http://JakeDrews.Com and http://WondrousWidgets.Com for more designs by Jake!
Re: Community collaboration project [message #11469 is a reply to message #11389 ] Tue, 06 April 2010 03:27 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Sorry for the double post....

but i was really inspired....

So....

I went ahead and decided that this would be a club. (just kidding, this wasnt my idea, and its about a community, so this is up to everyone to agree on) but i made a website through a webservice that ive used in the past and added some pre-made templates and pages.

It has a forum, member page, info page, links, and more. IF its a club, it could have a page specifying the team leaders for each project. Also, it would have a page (or a forum post) that outlined the project, the rules, and what we hope to accomplish. from there, its free rome for the members to design something for the project.

Here is the link:
http://shapewayscodesignclub.webs.com/

The name CAN be changed, we dont have to call it a club, and I can delete it if no one likes the idea. I dont want to take away from the shapeways environment, but I feel like this project might really need some space so that posts dont get lost (or a million pages long)

Again, let me know how everyone feels about it, I can change, add, delete anything (including the whole idea of a separate website) I just wanted to get it out there as a visual so people could see my vision. Smile

I apologize if im hijacking the thread or taking this idea on a route that you didnt want to go on. Razz
Lets co-create something!

Check out http://JakeDrews.Com and http://WondrousWidgets.Com for more designs by Jake!
Re: Community collaboration project [message #11471 is a reply to message #11389 ] Tue, 06 April 2010 04:56 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar aeron203  is currently offline aeron203
Go to my shop
I can see this thread is going to grow in a hurry!
Virtox rightly points out we have not actually set a direction here. My point is not so much about the subject of this project, since there are so many ideas here. I'm sure it would take many projects to satisfy the diversity of creative interests on Shapeways. I'm sure there will be many threads for many collaborative projects

What I mean to draw attention to is the difference between adding our efforts and multiplying them. I'm about to drift a bit here, but I'll continue in the interest of keeping this discussion as free-flowing as possible.

Virtox describes two categories that at first glance appear to fall loosely into art and engineering because one is a free and independent expression and one must have a very consistent relationships between parts. I think it's important to see them also in the way I described above, as either multiplying or adding of effort.

The reason I sort of emphasize this, and I think the reason Joris keeps examining the topic so thoroughly in the blogs, is that this multiplication of human design effort is enabled on a massive scale in a new way by 3D printing, and that is precisely why it is such a game-changer.

I can fix my car, not because I have some special ability, but because I was able to get a affordable set of tools and information. These are the changes brought about by the industrial and information ages. We now have something new. What I want to do, and I what I'd like to humbly submit as a sort of secondary goal for any of the collaborative projects we do here, is create what are essentially digital tools. Not in the sense of software, but a digital 3D object that helps people achieve their design goals.

I've been thinking about this for a long time but I've had a lot of trouble articulating it. In December I created an example that conveniently illustrates my point here. It's a two-part model that is supposed to enable anyone to make a dock for an Ipod. The business end holds the Ipod and is printed in Grey Robust or WSF, the other part of the model is printed along with whatever custom piece you'd wish to add to the dock, such as a decorative bowl. The dock portion costs $20-$30, so of course it helps to be able to re-use that part if you re-print the other part of the design. Unfortunately I should have placed the hooks on the base portion and the holes on the connector so that it would work with Color Sandstone, but at least it makes my point. You can see the base portion here:
http://www.shapeways.com/model/76341/vp15m8_dock_for_ipod.ht ml

So, with the many collaborative projects that we'll eventually see, I think they'll all have both components. Raw artistic content that is exclusive to the context of the project, and re-usable parts that enable people to do what they want without re-inventing the wheel.

Aaron - 40westdesigns.com/blog
Re: Community collaboration project [message #11483 is a reply to message #11389 ] Tue, 06 April 2010 14:12 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Exactly, thats where I was going with the "robot" example. The project could of course be anything. An ipod dock with a main base, and an option of many different types of decorative faceplates for it.

Here, I made a cool Puzzle Heart Locket for the Co Design Contest (even though im not sure it qualifies...because of its multipart nature) but you could get the heart from me, and order an insert that ive developed from me as well. OR, you could make your own. OR someone else could make some. The inserts are extremely simple, so Im not sure how many other people would need to develop for it, but its an option.

So, we could develop a product, that acts as a core or base in nature. Then make it so that anyone can design additions or extra parts for it.

Of course, this takes the topic all the way back to just basic opensource projects. Smile but thats ok.

(Any thoughts on having a base site other than Shapeways? or on calling this a "club?")

[Updated on: Sat, 10 April 2010 14:53 UTC]

Re: Community collaboration project [message #11485 is a reply to message #11483 ] Tue, 06 April 2010 15:38 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
I work here
Hey now, your belt buckle idea is sounding a little similar to my tattoo gun idea. I still need to test my gun design, but I made it simple so that it wouldn't cost an arm and a leg in stainless. And designed it so "face plates" could be snapped into place.

Re: Community collaboration project [message #11491 is a reply to message #11389 ] Tue, 06 April 2010 16:42 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
I agree with Rawkstar in that it might be a good idea to get some webspace somewhere to collaborate on. It would make collaboration easier if we could branch out to a bunch of different threads (unless we thought that we could keep it all in one thread, here on Shapeways). I would suggest to ensure that:
a) whatever forum (or wiki) we move to at least allows full read access without an account.
b) we keep a minimal thread on this forum, with periodic updates on our progress (so people who don't know about the group's activities can join in)

I think that everyone is most comfortable with a forum, so we should probably have one of those. I don't know if Rawkstar can get a forum with his service. If not, I have a webhosting account that I could host a forum (or a wiki, or wordpress, or google apps) on.

So, if I am understanding these last few posts, the practical outcome (for this community collaboration) would be to do the following:
1) collaborate on making a standardized base for something (example 1: a robot torso and maybe some default limbs. example 2: a basic ipod dock). Or perhaps some standard for making a certain genre of parts (so that they can fit together or something).
2) give the standard base a good start by (individually) making a bunch of custom parts that use standardized base from (1) (ex1: custom limbs. ex2: pretty things to dock an ipod with)
Am I understanding this correctly?
Re: Community collaboration project [message #11492 is a reply to message #11389 ] Tue, 06 April 2010 17:02 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Hey guys,

Good to see lots of ideas flowing ! Smile I don't have much time today, but in short, my opinion on several things that flew by :

- Please, don't hold back on my account, it's not "my" thread Wink Clearly a lot of you have been waiting for something like this. Well this is the place for it

- I would prefer to keep as much on the shapeways site as possible to keep things simple (also for newcomers). I think all we would need for this would be a separate section "Community projects" in the forum ? Perhaps with an enhanced attachment limit ? Or do you guys really need more ? Shapeways would surely be willing to supply this ? Wink

- Never been much into clubs, but if want to call it a club, go ahead Wink But I'm not doing any secret handshakes nor will I supply any spit or blood for any bonds Razz

- I personally love to re-invent the wheel so to speak, you never know what clever enhancements pop up, once your working on something, to me this has always been the best learning experience.

- I would love to more opinions and ideas though, but if some of you are ready for setting up a project go right ahead !

Stijn

Re: Community collaboration project [message #11493 is a reply to message #11389 ] Tue, 06 April 2010 17:16 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
I work here
A side site I think would be a plus.

I think the Standardized parts and practices is a good start

Personally I like to design things that couldn't or would be very difficult to produce in any other method. So maybe as a future goal we can find ways to make things that are more economically 3D printed than other processes.

Possibly we could create a shop on shapeways that members of the group have access too? Or maybe a president of sorts so that we can decide what goes in the shop or not before it's put up?

Seeing Shapeways calls us Shapies, we could make that our "club name" (Shapettes for the ladies) Razz

Re: Community collaboration project [message #11495 is a reply to message #11389 ] Tue, 06 April 2010 18:31 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
http://shapewayscodesignclub.webs.com/apps/forums/

Well, I have 2 votes for a website, so here is the link again. I will add another forum area for changes to the site.

Currently, there IS a link to Shapeways on it...I agree Virtox, I want to still be a part of Shapeways, I just want an area where things are more organized for these specific projects.

Also, if your interested in the website, let me know...I can upgrade your account to an admin, so you can actually make changes to the site. That way we have more than one person who can work on the site to get it the way we want.

As for the club label...maybe we could call it the Co Design Team? although that might infer that we work for shapeways. (or that it is exclusive)

I dont like the club label either....so let me know and we can deff change it.

[Updated on: Tue, 06 April 2010 18:33 UTC]

Re: Community collaboration project [message #11496 is a reply to message #11389 ] Tue, 06 April 2010 18:54 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
I work here
Yay I'm member #1

Re: Community collaboration project [message #11497 is a reply to message #11389 ] Tue, 06 April 2010 18:58 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar photosfromrob  is currently offline photosfromrob
Go to my shop
I see some interesting ideas here...many different.
I'm not a co-operative type person so I will probably not be playing, I think it's a great idea.

I have a suggestion, several people have differing ideas for a project. Why not start several, there's plenty of talent, and see which gain momentum. Often, people don't see potential until they "see" it; then they get inspired, have ideas and want to participate. If you use the shotgun approach, you might be surprised what happens. If you plan ahead, you limit creativity. It's like parallel generative designs, some will fizzle and some will grow in wonderful, unimagined directions.
Re: Community collaboration project [message #11498 is a reply to message #11389 ] Tue, 06 April 2010 19:16 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
I agree.

Thanks Photos! Keep an eye on what we come up with, maybe you'll be inspired too.

YouKnowWho: I bumped you up to Admin status, so feel free to mess with stuff. haha

[Updated on: Tue, 06 April 2010 19:18 UTC]

Re: Community collaboration project [message #11575 is a reply to message #11389 ] Fri, 09 April 2010 16:37 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
So guys, since everyone got some time to contemplate some more,
what shall we do ?

Perhaps we should start out with a simple ping-pong game to test the collaboration flow ? Smile
Or shall we start on the action-chess game ? (I see lot's of room for robotics and color emblems and the like Razz)
Or do you wanna go for the big project ? (still to be defined ?)

Re: Community collaboration project [message #11588 is a reply to message #11389 ] Fri, 09 April 2010 17:01 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
I work here
An "action chess" would be pretty difficult I think. (would require test prints and would be hard to make print and go) But what if we set a chess board size. The standard is between 2 and 2.5" (found here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chessboard) So to keep price and size down we can go with 2" Everyone come up with their best king idea, vote on them, modify the winner to everyone's liking, then move on to the queen. The only rule would be to keep within the 2" square, and as we go on the heights.

Re: Community collaboration project [message #11591 is a reply to message #11389 ] Fri, 09 April 2010 17:07 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Seems like a good start !

Should we set a volume limit to keeps prices sane ?

As for the test-print issue, that seems to be ideal, shared testing, shared costs ? Not everyone would have to try all parts, until final order.

Re: Community collaboration project [message #11592 is a reply to message #11389 ] Fri, 09 April 2010 17:17 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
I work here
As far as volume, I guess step one would be the material aim. Personally I think we should make 1mm thick models and 3mm thick models. The 1mm would be plain because you can't do sandstone that thin, and the 3mm can be textured for sandstone, and can be printed in stainless. I think the volume itself will work out as we go because a King fitting inside a 2" wide and long square wouldn't look right 12" tall.

The shared testing and cost bit... I see as the major issue we'll face in collaboration. I think for pieces that would need to be tested, would need hard evidence of prof of concept. Even then you split the cost, you can't split the product. Maybe we can get a Shapeways Member to join our venture and grant us testing vouchers Rolling Eyes

Re: Community collaboration project [message #11598 is a reply to message #11592 ] Fri, 09 April 2010 19:06 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
Youknowwho4eva wrote on Fri, 09 April 2010 17:17

As far as volume, I guess step one would be the material aim. Personally I think we should make 1mm thick models and 3mm thick models. The 1mm would be plain because you can't do sandstone that thin, and the 3mm can be textured for sandstone, and can be printed in stainless. I think the volume itself will work out as we go because a King fitting inside a 2" wide and long square wouldn't look right 12" tall.

The shared testing and cost bit... I see as the major issue we'll face in collaboration. I think for pieces that would need to be tested, would need hard evidence of prof of concept. Even then you split the cost, you can't split the product. Maybe we can get a Shapeways Member to join our venture and grant us testing vouchers Rolling Eyes

My take on the testing/cost is a bit natural: whoever wants to spend money printing a test piece can print a test piece (just like the collaboration project already assumes that whoever wants to spend a few hours drafting up a potential design can spend a few hours drafting up a potential design). It will kind of naturally work itself out. If the design appears well done (economically, as well as otherwise), someone will likely get it printed/tested, and it will become a more official product of the collaborative effort.
Re: Community collaboration project [message #11611 is a reply to message #11389 ] Sat, 10 April 2010 03:21 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar TerraCotta  is currently offline TerraCotta
Go to my shop
Not to hijack the thread, but just in passing I am putting up an 'open' design that would allow others to make interoperable parts, and realised that I should have put it in the general forum instead of the "work in progress" one so just wanted to give a shout out here. I also think a more thoroughly collaborative project would be cool too, though.

sincerely,
Jeff
Re: Community collaboration project [message #11618 is a reply to message #11592 ] Sat, 10 April 2010 08:44 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert

Material choice[ 5 vote(s) ]
1.Kinetic Strong and Flexible 2 / 40%
2.Full-Color Sandstone 2 / 40%
3.Multi-Material 1 / 20%
4.Stainless Steel 0 / 0%

Quote:

Maybe we can get a Shapeways Member to join our venture and grant us testing vouchers

I got an email from Joris, with a voucher code for the collaboration project, that should allow us to print some test runs !
They would love to see something in one month, which seems like a decent time frame for a first run ?)

So let's get this show on the road ! Wink

But we still need an good idea with enough support from everyone here Wink

So I would suggest we take a few more days to brainstorm towards a more tangible idea ?

To keep things cheap, simple and as open as possible, I would suggest to start with xSF materials ? As I think those are the most tolerant materials.
Although full-color would be cool as well.

Volume restriction still seems like a good idea to keep in mind
As even only a 2"x2"x2" / 5x5x5 cm block would be 125 CC.
I know, no-one will probably design a solid, but still Wink

As for the whole difficulty and testing, I think we have more than enough experience as a group to see if something is bound to work or not. Which should reduce the amount of tries and we can all learn and benefit from each other. So moving parts should not be a problem, but a lot of fun ! Smile

And if enough people decide a (sponsored) test print is needed, I can provide this with the voucher we got from shapeways.

But please, let's keep things a bit focused and simpler for this first attempt ? Gain some experience, who knows what a next project will bring ?

For now, see the poll. please vote on your material of preference for this project !
If you want something different, I could add it, but we all know, more choices leads to indecisiveness quickly Wink

On to a productive collaboration !

Stijn

[Updated on: Sat, 10 April 2010 08:45 UTC]

Re: Community collaboration project [message #11625 is a reply to message #11618 ] Sat, 10 April 2010 14:48 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Poll removed, will be back soon, sorry about that Wink

[Updated on: Sat, 10 April 2010 14:59 UTC]

Re: Community collaboration project [message #11627 is a reply to message #11389 ] Sat, 10 April 2010 14:53 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
I voted for Art+Mech because i feel that it would involve the most number of people. If its Art, I wont do much participating because i am not that good at art. If its Mech, someone else may feel more comfortable creating an art project versus a mechanical project.

Also, this would allow us to use both Color Sandstone AND WSF.

Re: Community collaboration project [message #11628 is a reply to message #11627 ] Sat, 10 April 2010 14:56 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Eh sorry I think your vote got lost, I was still "thinking out loud" Wink
Hmm, re-adding the option did not fix you vote, removed the poll.

I was struggling a bit with the type of poll and options.

I want to narrow down a path, and those choices were too open.
Any suggestions ?

Was now thinking more along the line :

Functional
Artful
Cool looking and mechanical

Or specifics :
Action-chess
Belt-buckle project
Modular robot
still searching Wink

[Updated on: Sat, 10 April 2010 15:02 UTC]

Re: Community collaboration project [message #11634 is a reply to message #11389 ] Sat, 10 April 2010 16:30 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
sounds good.

I dont think the belt buckle project is well suited for this particular project because it really only involves 2 parts. The base and the insert. my point with that project being was that someone could design the base, and any other shop owner could design cool inserts.

I really like the chess set idea to be honest. although, im not sure what you mean by action chess?

Re: Community collaboration project [message #11640 is a reply to message #11634 ] Sat, 10 April 2010 18:44 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
rawkstar320 wrote on Sat, 10 April 2010 16:30

I really like the chess set idea to be honest. although, im not sure what you mean by action chess?

I think that it is in reference to my idea of making the chess pieces mechanical such that you push down on the piece (or something like that) and it causes a mechanism to lash out in an attack direction and knock over another piece. Basically it would work like this:
1) When attacking, move piece up to the spot before the enemy piece.
2) Rotate your piece to face enemy piece.
3) Press button, your piece lashes out and knocks over enemy piece
4) Finish move by placing your piece onto the destination.

It isn't much, but it could potentially be a fun little feature. Basically it is a way to have a mechanical device in an otherwise aesthetic chess set design (to interest both "types" of shapeways people).

[Updated on: Sat, 10 April 2010 18:46 UTC]

Re: Community collaboration project [message #11641 is a reply to message #11640 ] Sat, 10 April 2010 18:55 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
What he said Wink

Couldn't resist to start working on an idea I had for the bishop :

index.php?t=getfile&id=3229&private=0

• Attachment: Bishop.jpg
    (Size: 130.00KB, Downloaded 467 time(s))

Re: Community collaboration project [message #11642 is a reply to message #11389 ] Sat, 10 April 2010 19:07 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
ah, i see...

That sounds even more fun! I might have to find some time to make something now.....

Would each piece have an "action" to it? Also, what about styling? Each of us will have different ideas on the overall "theme" or "look" to the models...so, maybe a common theme will have to be chosen later.

just had another idea..........

What if the action mechanism was somewhat modular? So that the artists in the group would make the "shell" so that it would fit over the "guts" of the pieces?

Im working on some sketches of what Im imagine, ill upload pics in a few

[Updated on: Sat, 10 April 2010 19:13 UTC]

Re: Community collaboration project [message #11647 is a reply to message #11389 ] Sat, 10 April 2010 19:47 UTC Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Go to my shop
Here is my thinking on the Action Chess Set:

1.) The "Action" part could be modular. This way, you could fit it into a variety of pieces, either physical (a separate model), or virtually (as 1 model, part of the "shell')

2.) The "Shell" (part you see) would be specific for the piece. So, you would have a King, Queen, Rook, Bishop, etc that were able to fit "over" the "Action" unit. In my opinion, not ALL pieces would have the action feature (Ie, Pawns are small)

Thoughts on these ideas:
--> 1.) If the action unit is modular, and is printed as a separate model, you can print it as WSF, and the shell as any other material.

--> 2.) With the Shell being separate from the action unit, you can print it as a Color Sandstone model. This would also open the project up to even more opportunities because each modeler could offer a different patter (or even a co creation!) of the models. on top of this, the shell makes up most of the material (imo) and would therefore be cheaper if it where made out of sandstone.

Here is a image of what I am imagining for the "Action" unit:
index.php?t=getfile&id=3230&private=0

When you push the "head" of the part down, it pushes a plunger that actuates the weapon. The weapon slams the other peice to oblivion, then returns to the "home" position by means of a built in spring (somehow...)

It would need another dowel or 2 on top of the unit to keep the "head" pointing in the same direction all the time, a spring to return the weapon somehow.

Thoughts?

• Attachment: Idea 1.jpg
    (Size: 79.35KB, Downloaded 440 time(s))

Pages (2): [1  2    »] 

Previous Topic:Shapeways Full Color 3D Print Student Contest
Next Topic:Second Hand 3D Printer

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.