Home » Community » Shapeways Shops » No Markup!
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
No Markup! [message #11306] Thu, 01 April 2010 06:05 UTC Go to next message
avatar Magic  is currently offline Magic
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Shapeways Crew
Hi,

I was wondering if Shapeways could add a special icon that says "No Markup!" on the thumbnail (like the co-creator icon for instance) of object for which we set the markup to 0, so that we can promote a little bit such a non-profit item.

For instance, my cubic decimeter, which is very handy, that I would like exceptionally to offer free of markup: http://www.shapeways.com/model/24427/
Re: No Markup! [message #11326 is a reply to message #11306 ] Thu, 01 April 2010 14:31 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar rawkstar320  is currently offline rawkstar320
Go to my shop
At first I was like...well, why would you advertise an item that didnt make you money.

But,

Im with Magic with this one. And here is why: Shapeways is something that is allowing people to charge money for their designs, but in the world of open source and *not for profit help, I see the possibility of this becoming just another place to spend money. Not to be a part of a community of designers that are willing to help you.

I hope that makes sense, and I hope that im not thinking too deep on this one, but I think this icon would be pretty cool.

(or maybe an optional icon for a $1 markup item)
Just something to push the fact that we arent always here trying to make a huge profit.

Aut Viam Inveniam Aut Faciam
Check out http://JakeDrews.Com and http://WondrousWidgets.Com for more designs by Jake!
Re: No Markup! [message #11553 is a reply to message #11326 ] Fri, 09 April 2010 01:40 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar lensman  is currently offline lensman
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
I second (or third!) this idea...

Glenn ------ My Website Third Dimension Jewellery
Re: No Markup! [message #11556 is a reply to message #11306 ] Fri, 09 April 2010 04:04 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar aeron203  is currently offline aeron203
Go to my shop
I don't think the icon can say all that needs to be said. One can simply choose to note it in their description, like I do with many experimental items.

If you are serious about making something free, being able to offer it for download would be the way to do it, and we can do that already in the forums. Having the item online is good for thought experiments and examples, like Magics cube, or my Medieval Weaponry, but anyone thinking people are getting rich off this stuff are way off base.

I do some co-creator models at zero markup to collect data for future versions, so I'm working for free and I get an icon. What about someone who gains notoriety through their free model contributions, then later becomes a professional in the 3D printing industry? They had the "Free contributor" icon.

So, I think the icon would be misleading unless it were a huge question mark.

Aaron - 40westdesigns.com/blog
Re: No Markup! [message #11557 is a reply to message #11556 ] Fri, 09 April 2010 06:04 UTC Go to previous message
avatar Magic  is currently offline Magic
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Shapeways Crew
Hi Aeron203,

I thought of the icon as an icon for the model, not for the seller.

You are totally right, if the model is with no markup, you could make it downloadable (Peter Paul, I am still waiting for the button to make a model downloadable similar to the one to turn a model to a co-creator Very Happy ), and this will add a downloadable icon.

But there are cases for which you do not want a markup but you do not want either to give access to the model file. For example for a temporary promotion (I want to offer a new design for free for the first week, or as long as I do not order it for myself to check it, of for the mother day etc.).

Of course, in this case, I can add by myself an icon as I did for the 1cm3 below:

index.php?t=getfile&id=3211&private=0

But it would be easier if the icon would be added automatically (you do not have to create a new picture, change the default picture when the promotion begins, change it again when it ends: you just change the markup). And the same icon would be used for all the models with no markup which is more consistent for the website.

Does it make sense?

BTW, my 1cm3 is a bad example as I can offer it for download and my 1dm3 (at $1786.70) was an April Fool Very Happy

[Updated on: Fri, 09 April 2010 06:07 UTC]

Previous Topic:Version actualization
Next Topic:New Shop Views

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.