Home » Support » 3D Design » Chinese concentric sphere... Do you think it could be printed?
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Chinese concentric sphere... Do you think it could be printed? [message #1021] Mon, 25 August 2008 15:46 UTC Go to next message
avatar aws357  is currently offline aws357
Go to my shop
I think I found a way to model such a thing in Blender...

But it would interest me even more if the model could be printed later...

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_GCJ5F-yLq_4/RvYcn3sLw3I/AAAAAAAACbE/lJ8sbJtN8lU/P8170148.JPG

For those who don't know what this sphere is, it is somekind of traditional chinese sculpture where independant concentric sphere are produced by skilled sculptors...

The keyword here is "independant"... Each sphere can move independantly from the others.

I think it could be possible with SLS printing (because the material provide support)...

But I am not totally sure either...
Re: Chinese concentric sphere... Do you think it could be printed? [message #1024 is a reply to message #1021 ] Mon, 25 August 2008 18:19 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar pete  is currently offline pete
Go to all my models
Co-Founder
Hi,

this is certainly possible Smile
You can model several items (balls or whatever) nested. As long as they do not touch, they will be made inside each other.

If you look closely at this picture: http://www.shapeways.com/blog/uploads/IMG_0611.serendipityThumb.jpg you can see a second ball inside the first

I could even provide you with a simple demo blender file if you are interested

Peter
Re: Chinese concentric sphere... Do you think it could be printed? [message #1025 is a reply to message #1021 ] Mon, 25 August 2008 20:24 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Dalhimar  is currently offline Dalhimar
Go to my shop
I am pretty certain that it is possible, what they would do is print the base material between the spheres, which is latter dissolved after the print is complete.
So as long as you design is within size constraints, you should be perfectly fine.
Re: Chinese concentric sphere... Do you think it could be printed? [message #1029 is a reply to message #1024 ] Mon, 25 August 2008 21:25 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
pete wrote on Mon, 25 August 2008 14:19

I could even provide you with a simple demo blender file if you are interested

Very Happy I would be interested indeed

Could you post a link or PM it to me?
Re: Chinese concentric sphere... Do you think it could be printed? [message #1065 is a reply to message #1029 ] Wed, 27 August 2008 09:19 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar bartv  is currently offline bartv
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Hi aws357,

I designed a similar (but much simpler) object in Blender:

http://www.shapeways.com/model/392/wiresphere.html

It worked out okay, but in the end the lines were a bit too thin and the object tended to break during the cleanup phase, so make sure the parts are thick enough (looking at the photograph that should be ok though).

I've attached my .blend, maybe you can use it.

Cheers,

Bart

Community Manager Europe | Shapeways
Re: Chinese concentric sphere... Do you think it could be printed? [message #1070 is a reply to message #1021 ] Wed, 27 August 2008 14:13 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Very Happy Greatz

I'll take a look
Re: Chinese concentric sphere... Do you think it could be printed? [message #1152 is a reply to message #1021 ] Mon, 01 September 2008 12:31 UTC Go to previous message
Go to my shop
Very Happy Here is the final result.

http://www.shapeways.com/model/4289/chinese_sphere.html

Details are not very visible though.

But from the picture do you think it will hold during printing?

And most importantly, do you think the individual sphere will stay independant after cleaning?

Should I leave more or less space between each sphere?

Previous Topic:Second Life Character
Next Topic:NURBS

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.