Home » Support » 3D Design » complicated mesh problem
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
complicated mesh problem [message #11436] Mon, 05 April 2010 12:45 UTC Go to next message
avatar fridgehead  is currently offline fridgehead
Go to all my models
I've got a very complicated mesh thats been generated by a tool called Structure Synth. The mesh has a large number of intersecting cubes that obviously need some work to tidy up

Anyone know of an easy way generate a "skin" of the mesh?

• Attachment: DRAWING.DAE
    (Size: 703.36KB, Downloaded 89 time(s))

Re: complicated mesh problem [message #11439 is a reply to message #11436 ] Mon, 05 April 2010 13:10 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar virtox  is currently offline virtox
Go to my shop
Can't check the file atm, but options that spring to mind are : marching cubes algorithm (meshlab has a filter for this) or some sort of addtitive blob-mesh generator (no idea for tools, I do my own)

- Artist / Engineer / Designer / Shopowner / Volunteer / Moderator -
Re: complicated mesh problem [message #11475 is a reply to message #11436 ] Tue, 06 April 2010 08:39 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar iguffick  is currently offline iguffick
Go to all my models
I don't know of an automatic way of doing this easily.
In Blender you could use the 'Geom Tool' script to cut intersecting faces, but then you would have to delete the internal geometry yourself. If you select 'occlude background geometry' and select all of the vertices, by box selecting as you rotate around. You could then hide the external vertices and be left with just the internal ones, which you delete. Unhide the other vertices and you are left with the outer mesh.

Not straight forward, but it could easily be done!
You could also easily go wrong if you haven't selected all the external vertices before hiding them.

Regards,
Ian.
Re: complicated mesh problem [message #11478 is a reply to message #11475 ] Tue, 06 April 2010 12:12 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
Thanks Ian! I'll give that a try later today, I didnt think there would be an automated way to do it

I tried removing all edges in Meshlab then running one of the remeshing tools on the point-cloud, it didnt quite look how I wanted but I saved the mesh anyway as it looked quite cool Smile
Re: complicated mesh problem [message #11479 is a reply to message #11436 ] Tue, 06 April 2010 13:02 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar iguffick  is currently offline iguffick
Go to all my models
I forgot to mention ....

The 'Geom Tool' script is not distributed along with Blender, it has to be installed.
You can find info at :-
http://www.blendernation.com/using-geom-tool/

Select all vertices and use the 'faces/faces cut'. It may take some time to complete.

Regards,
Ian.
Re: complicated mesh problem [message #11501 is a reply to message #11479 ] Tue, 06 April 2010 21:37 UTC Go to previous message
Go to all my models
well so far so good, i've separated out the geometry into chunks that should be easier to work with, the problem now is that the Union operation can only take 2 objects at once, even my ancient copy of 3DS from 8 years ago can handle more than 2 at a time..

tool change time i think

cheers for all the help!

Previous Topic:making a color mesh
Next Topic:Materials for 3D Studio MAX

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.