Home » Support » Bug Reporting » Material restriction Inverted ?
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Material restriction Inverted ? [message #11202] Mon, 29 March 2010 11:05 UTC Go to next message
avatar virtox  is currently offline virtox
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Hi,

I saw that the material restriction selection thing now works inverted ?

I understand this can be useful in some cases, but I now find myself having to add all materials if I want to restrict it to WSF ?

That seems silly.

I would prefer "old-skool" checkboxes and some preselection links (select all strong and flexible, select all detail, select none, select all)

And could the "only for myself" and "show only" selections on the upload page be made persistent per user ?

Because when uploading/testing, I would prefer the models to be invisible to start with. Now I find myself always selecting the two boxes.

Kind regards,

Stijn

- Artist / Engineer / Designer / Shopowner / Volunteer / Moderator -
Re: Material restriction Inverted ? [message #11277 is a reply to message #11202 ] Wed, 31 March 2010 09:51 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar virtox  is currently offline virtox
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Any word on this, did I miss an announcement or what ?

- Artist / Engineer / Designer / Shopowner / Volunteer / Moderator -
Re: Material restriction Inverted ? [message #11286 is a reply to message #11277 ] Wed, 31 March 2010 15:59 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar eriks  is currently offline eriks
Go to my shop
I work here
umm, yes and no.

We indeed inverted the material restrictions, but it seems we totally forgot telling you guys. Embarassed

The reasons for it were indeed a few cases that could be more easily managed in this way.

The checkboxes solution does give you some more flexibility, but it would have included some reworking of the user interface. It would also cost in terms of space, because all materials would always need to be listed.

pre-selection links are an interesting idea, I'll pass that along.
persistent options for model uploads are also a very cool idea, and I'll pass that along as well.
Re: Material restriction Inverted ? [message #11293 is a reply to message #11202 ] Wed, 31 March 2010 19:07 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Youknowwho4eva  is currently offline Youknowwho4eva
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
I work here
Semi related thing, in the drop down list, colored sand stone is included even if not a colored file. Before it wasn't unless you selected that the file had color. This definitely makes it easier for 1mm thick items, but has the inverse effect for items you only want available in stainless. What if the check boxes were a separate window that would pop up. You click a button that says "Select Material Restrictions" and a window pops up with the check boxes?

I learned a long time ago the wisest thing I can do is be on my own side, be an advocate for myself and others like me. -Maya Angelou
michael@shapeways.com Community Advocate
Re: Material restriction Inverted ? [message #11328 is a reply to message #11293 ] Thu, 01 April 2010 15:00 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Jettuh  is currently offline Jettuh
Go to my shop
i'm not really happy with this Sad

i have to select all the materials now,, except the WSF Surprised
before that was a lot easier,, just selecting the WSF!
Re: Material restriction Inverted ? [message #11348 is a reply to message #11202 ] Fri, 02 April 2010 00:38 UTC Go to previous message
avatar rawkstar320  is currently offline rawkstar320
Go to my shop
I like the update, i have a few models where there is a LOT of clicking, but i'll get over it until shapeways comes up with a better way.

I also noticed that the Homepage's "Featured Shop Models" is now 2 lines instead of 1 and the "Recently Printed" section is missing.

Bummer that new models might miss out on some front page exposure, but it was annoying seeing a new picture of the SAME model every single day. (because the owner uploaded pics over the period of a few days..therefore getting more exposure than someone who just uploaded a bunch of pics on one day)

Aut Viam Inveniam Aut Faciam
Check out http://JakeDrews.Com and http://WondrousWidgets.Com for more designs by Jake!

Previous Topic:3D printing virus for STL file type
Next Topic:Customer Service Team

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.