Home » Community » 3D modeler needed » trouble converting autodesk files
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
trouble converting autodesk files [message #10889] Thu, 18 March 2010 03:46 UTC Go to next message
avatar angelicgundam90  is currently offline angelicgundam90
Go to all my models
ok so first off sorry if i put this in the wrong section. so i have a model of a wing for my rc car that i am trying to up load. it started life in autodesk inventor, all of my demsions are in mm because i am working in a very small scale, i followed the directions to convert my file to one that would be usuable by shapeways through the accu3d something or other program. my problem is that my part starts out at roughly 70mm x 30mm x 20mm but i got this message in my email:
"Your object is too big! The size is 70.86 x 98.42 x 259.84 cm / 27.91 x 38.74 x 102.28 inch (h x w x d). We can only produce objects up to 45.00 x 100.00 x 25.00 cm / 17.72 x 39.37 x 9.84 inch (h x w x d). Please rescale it to make it smaller."

imnot sure what to do to get it to convert to cm correctly. im thinking that i need to convert my original file to inches then do everything else but im not sure how to do that. thanks in advanced for the help!

[Updated on: Thu, 18 March 2010 03:54 UTC]

Re: trouble converting autodesk files [message #10898 is a reply to message #10889 ] Thu, 18 March 2010 10:50 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar virtox  is currently offline virtox
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Which format did you export to ?

If you're native units are mm and exporting to STL and ticking mm at upload time should ideally provide the correct result.

You're scaling seems of by a factor of 35, not sure how this came to be..

Or you could try reducing the the original object by a factor of 35 in your current workflow. (or more precise 2598.4/largest accurate dimension in mm)

[Updated on: Thu, 18 March 2010 11:25 UTC]

- Artist / Engineer / Designer / Shopowner / Volunteer / Moderator -
Re: trouble converting autodesk files [message #10920 is a reply to message #10889 ] Thu, 18 March 2010 16:22 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
thanks for the quick reply but where do u tick mm as my native units when i upload? noob question i know. lol
Re: trouble converting autodesk files [message #10921 is a reply to message #10920 ] Thu, 18 March 2010 16:43 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Ah yes, sorry did not see the new upload interface yet.
The "scale" option now only appears after you have selected an applicable filetype like STL.

See attached screen cap of what it should look like.

• Attachment: screencap.jpg
    (Size: 63.37KB, Downloaded 111 time(s))

Re: trouble converting autodesk files [message #10955 is a reply to message #10889 ] Fri, 19 March 2010 03:29 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
there must be something wrong with my account becuase i dont get the option for what units i use. i attached some screen shots of what i see when i go to upload and what i see after i upload. thanks for all the help.

Re: trouble converting autodesk files [message #10956 is a reply to message #10889 ] Fri, 19 March 2010 03:31 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
and the second screen shot

Re: trouble converting autodesk files [message #10957 is a reply to message #10956 ] Fri, 19 March 2010 04:59 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar akeno  is currently offline akeno
Go to all my models
lol
dont use internet explorer... not only is it a huge security breach but also outdated since 1991.. use google chrome if you want the best experience.

[Updated on: Fri, 19 March 2010 04:59 UTC]

Re: trouble converting autodesk files [message #10958 is a reply to message #10956 ] Fri, 19 March 2010 06:39 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
The "pop-down" should appear as soon as you have selected the STL file selected with the file explorer.

If you are sure you used an STL-file (I can't tell from the picture Wink )
then you probably caught an IE-bug in the shapeways site.

You can report those here :
http://www.shapeways.com/forum/index.php?t=thread&frm_id =90

But I agree with Akeno, Google Chrome is a great alternative.
Simple and very fast and a lot safer.
For a more in-depth technical browser you could also try Firefox.

But if a bug it should be fixed nonetheless.

Re: trouble converting autodesk files [message #10968 is a reply to message #10889 ] Fri, 19 March 2010 16:10 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
so i downloaded firefox and upload my files and a couple of wierd things happened. first i tried my original autodesk file that was a .STL file, when i upload it i get the option to select units and it uploads fine. but after a few minutes i get a error message in my email that says my file is in unusable format.???? so i tried the file i convereted in accu3d that is a .DAE file, but i dont get the option to select my unit of measurment and eventully get the original error that my file is too big. any ideas???
Re: trouble converting autodesk files [message #10969 is a reply to message #10889 ] Fri, 19 March 2010 16:16 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
just treid it in google chrome and got the same result as firefox
Re: trouble converting autodesk files [message #11050 is a reply to message #10969 ] Tue, 23 March 2010 18:45 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
for anybody that cares i figured out what my problem was. i created my model in 2 pieces and then made a assembly. well shapeways cant use assemblies. so i combined my 2 peices into one model and it uploaded perfectly.
Re: trouble converting autodesk files [message #11145 is a reply to message #10889 ] Fri, 26 March 2010 22:36 UTC Go to previous message
avatar ashraf  is currently offline ashraf
Go to all my models
Hi
I am Ashraf

I am very very very distinguished in solid geometry ,At primary and secondary school , my records in it was full mark spontaneously without any effort from me in study it is my talent and it is the gift of God for me

3d modeling is my interest and hobby
I love to use solidworks software
so
If you send me PHOTOGRAPHS OF any PRODUCT and want a 3d solid OF it I can do perfectly for you THAT CAN BE MOVED BY online shopper to see the product details and as it is "solid "made by solidworks it can be 3d printed very easy

Also if you have a 3d model or graphic & want to have A 3d solid of it I can do perfectly for you

I want to attach some photo of some of my 3d solids I draw purely in solidworks and I can do more difficult than these . with the help of God

P.S I AM EGYPTIAN LIVE IN UPPER EGYPT I PREFER TO WORK FROM HOME
God bless you

thank you
good bye

Aِِِِِshraf

Previous Topic:NEED A 3D MODEL FOR A RING
Next Topic:Looking for a modeler for a robot toy

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.