Home » Community » It arrived! » Frankenstein Ring
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Frankenstein Ring [message #7964] Sun, 29 November 2009 22:02 UTC Go to next message
avatar Magic  is currently offline Magic
Go to my shop
Hi again,

I already wrote a post about the Frankenstein Ring in the Work in Progress section.
As a reminder, it is a ring that give the illusion that a bolt is going through your thumb: when you move one end of the bolt the other ends moves as if they were one single part (and actually they are Very Happy ).
But now, I received a set of prototypes for this ring, and I would like to share the results.
First a picture of all the parts I received:
index.php?t=getfile&id=1901&private=0
As you can see, I printed 3 rings. The internal diameter is always 20 mm which is suitable for a thumb ring (at least for my thumbs Smile ).
What changes is the external diameter and - even more important - the clearances between the moving parts: 1 mm for the biggest, 0.75 mm for the medium one and 0.5 mm for the smallest one.
I also printed 4 separated nuts (for each ring) with different clearances to screw them at the end of the bolt.

The smallest ring has its internal mechanism fused with the external shell so it is not working at all. The two other ones are working perfectly.
None of the nuts could be screwed to the bolt though.

Here is a picture of the two working rings:
index.php?t=getfile&id=1902&private=0
and two additionnal pictures of the middle sized one (my favorite):
index.php?t=getfile&id=1903&private=0
index.php?t=getfile&id=1904&private=0

You can also see how they work in this video.

The conclusions are that:

• The medium size ring is, according to me, the best one: not too big and still working.
  • The nut has to be printed with the bolt: it's a pity because there will be no way to block the movement of the bolt (that is: to prevent it from moving until the nut is unscrewed a little bit).

Thus, the next step for me is to print the medium one in Stainless Steel with the nut attached to the bolt. I hope that the 0.5 clearance will be enough for Stainless Steel.

Any comment is welcomed.

[Updated on: Mon, 30 November 2009 06:48 UTC]

Re: Frankenstein Ring [message #10990 is a reply to message #7964 ] Sat, 20 March 2010 20:57 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
The metal version of the Frankenstein thumb ring arrived.
I printed the medium one and biggest one.
Unfortunately, the medium one get fused in Stainless Steel.
The biggest one instead is working perfectly.

Here is a picture:
index.php?t=getfile&id=3007&private=0

You can also see a video on Youtube.

As soon as I upload the right version, I will make it available for sale.

[Updated on: Sat, 20 March 2010 20:57 UTC]

Re: Frankenstein Ring [message #10993 is a reply to message #10990 ] Sat, 20 March 2010 22:02 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Schorhr  is currently offline Schorhr
Go to my shop
Awesome idea Smile Looks great!
Re: Frankenstein Ring [message #10997 is a reply to message #7964 ] Sun, 21 March 2010 03:22 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar akeno  is currently offline akeno
Go to all my models
are you doing size requests? I would love one. Very Happy
Re: Frankenstein Ring [message #10999 is a reply to message #10997 ] Sun, 21 March 2010 09:46 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Schorhr and Akeno, I am really happy you like it.

Akeno, honestly I did not plan to make size on request because
1) the model is quite expensive (so I do not expect a lot of sales)
2) the process of changing size is quite long (not only two values to update in a tool, but also several boolean operations to create the holes, add the bolt etc. once the size of the 2 rings are modified). My usual markups are OK for customization that take tens of minutes, not hours.

Currently the model has the following sizes:
- Internal diameter: 20mm (this value would be the one to change)
- External diameter: 32mm (previous value + 12mm)
- Overal width: 12mm (this and the following ones will not change)
- Overal thickness: 6mm
- Wall thickness:2mm
- Clearances: 1mm
- Maximum range of movement of the bolt: 1.5/2mm

With these dimensions, the price would be more or less $20 in White Strong and Flexible (but with this material the effect is not so impressive, perhaps Alumide would have been a better option) and more or less $65 in Stainless Steel (best effect).

If you think that it is a price you are ready to pay then you can give me the internal diameter you wish and I can give it a try.

Regards,

Magic.

[Updated on: Wed, 13 October 2010 19:57 UTC]

Re: Frankenstein Ring [message #11002 is a reply to message #10999 ] Sun, 21 March 2010 23:20 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar joris  is currently offline joris
Go to all my models
Love the concept & execution!
Re: Frankenstein Ring [message #23041 is a reply to message #11002 ] Wed, 26 January 2011 06:48 UTC Go to previous message
Go to my shop
It arrived a long time ago, but I eventually made pictures of it yesterday (the previous one was taken from the video)

index.php?t=getfile&id=6793&private=0

index.php?t=getfile&id=6794&private=0

index.php?t=getfile&id=6795&private=0

Although this design has been appreciated when I released it, I made no sales, so I lowered the markup a little bit: now it is less than 10% in Stainless Steel.

But I am usure it will still print in Stainless Steel with the new rules: the wall thickness is 2mm and there are moving parts.
Alumide could be a good alternative, I guess.

• Attachment: frank1.JPG
    (Size: 86.81KB, Downloaded 387 time(s))

• Attachment: frank2.JPG
    (Size: 80.71KB, Downloaded 396 time(s))

• Attachment: frank3.JPG
    (Size: 97.82KB, Downloaded 374 time(s))

Previous Topic:HO Model Traction Engine
Next Topic:Scale 1/3 male human skull