Home » Support » 3D Design » Is there a problem with my upload ?
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Is there a problem with my upload ? [message #10225] Fri, 26 February 2010 12:57 UTC Go to next message
avatar Dubeau  is currently offline Dubeau
Go to my shop
Hi,

I just upload a spaceship I made:
http://www.shapeways.com/model/95650/proctor_spaceship.html
However the side that was mirrored appears to be transparent in the render of shapeways ? Is the model ok, or should I worried ? When I open the submitted .stl file in Cinema4d, everything is fine...so I am wondering if it's not the render engine of the site ?
Re: Is there a problem with my upload ? [message #10228 is a reply to message #10225 ] Fri, 26 February 2010 13:10 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar virtox  is currently offline virtox
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
If you mirror an object, in some apps this leads to the normals flipping (normal direction defined by vertex/edge order)

Looks like that is what happened here.
After you mirror the object, see if you can "flip the normals" back.

Not sure what will happen with printing though, usually singular inverted volumes are fixed, but it might lead to unwanted subtractions when volumes overlap.

As for the preview render, that is always very creative with how to display meshed Wink

- Artist / Engineer / Designer / Shopowner / Volunteer / Moderator -
Re: Is there a problem with my upload ? [message #10229 is a reply to message #10228 ] Fri, 26 February 2010 13:19 UTC Go to previous message
avatar Dubeau  is currently offline Dubeau
Go to my shop
Ok. I will check this out then. I though the normals were already fix...but I will take a look back.

Yah. The normal are inverted. I think I will take the time to add more details and make a stand too.

[Updated on: Fri, 26 February 2010 13:28 UTC]

Previous Topic:about stainless wall thickness
Next Topic:Manifold Error Help

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.