Multiple shops - question for Shapeways admins

Discussion in 'Shapeways Shops' started by Bathsheba, May 28, 2009.

1. Bathsheba
    Bathsheba Well-Known Member
    Well, we still don't have either categories or ordering within shops. I have 12 items up now, and people are requesting more, but I think if I add more it will result in a big bag of unorganized items, which customers don't like.

Will it mess up the bookkeeping if I open one or two additional shops in order to categorize my items? I would like to have a shop, for instance, devoted entirely to 4D polytopes.

This is the best solution I can think of now -- please let me know if that would be OK, or if you have a better solution in mind.

Thanks,

2. Bathsheba
    Anyone home?

3. BAROBA
    BAROBA Member
    I too am interessed in multiple shops of multiple tabs in a shop. Cause now I have my zodiac designs and my military stuff in one shop. It would be nicer to have seperate shops ( or tabs in a shop).

Cheers

Rob

4. coines23
    coines23 Well-Known Member
    As would I. Right now, all I have up are spaceship minis, but I'd like to branch out into other parts of the hobby and organize those items separately.

Personally, I'd prefer the tabs or folders to extra shops.

Charles

Irrational Designs

5. 11539_deleted
    11539_deleted Member
    Hi,

Sorry it took some time to react. We just had a long weekend here due to Pentecost, where we had Monday off as well ;)

We are trying to find the best solution for you. Checking into either speed-up the categories or multiple-shops per shopowner. Sorry for the delay.

Kind regards, Arno

6. joris
    joris Member
    Sorry guys, I was on the plane.

We are looking how we can best do this. We can offer you guys custom theme pages whereby you can submit a URL you want, some photographs and then we make you a or several pages.

They would be similar to this page:
    https://www.shapeways.com/themes/bnlsmodeltrains

In order for this to work though the models do still have to be in your Shop. So it would enable you to categorize more models but it would not solve the "cluttered" Shop issues.

So we will probably for a longer term solution have to build that functionality for you guys.

7. Bathsheba
    How would people find these theme pages? Your example page does not come up in any search I could think of, and even the models in it are not linked back to it.

Given that it would also leave my shop cluttered, I'm not seeing how this is a great solution.

Seriously, guys. Would it break the system if I made a second account and opened another shop? I can use a different email address and all.

8. Bathsheba
    *BUMP*

I'm sorry to nag, but I actually need to know the answer to this question.

Thanks!

9. pete
    pete Shapeways Employee CEO
    Hi Bathsheba,

will make sure we have an answer for you within a few days. All solutions seem to have + and - so we have to evaluate.

best,
    Peter

10. Jettuh
    Jettuh Well-Known Member
    hi pete,

i'm waiting for a great solution too :blush:

atm, when somebody checks my shop they see only 4objects on a page!
    isn't there a possibilty to get like 8 or 12 objects on 1 shop page?

now its like:

o - o - o -o

why not:

0 - 0 - 0 - 0
    0 - 0 - 0 - 0
    0 - 0 - 0 - 0

O = the object

11. gibell
    gibell Well-Known Member
    I see 8 (two rows) normally. But not in your shop as you only have 3 items. It's kind of weird because in "My Designs" I see only 4 (one row). It would be nice if we could change these numbers in the "Preferences" or something.

When I order my own designs that I have not not publicly available, I get all these emails about "You sold something in your shop!!". It's kind of annoying. I don't think one should get such a message for a design that isn't publicly available (and thus not even visible in my shop).

-George

12. joris
    joris Member
    We're working right now on improving your account overview so you will have to receive a lot less emails in future.

If you by the way still have issues categorizing things in your Shop please ask me and I'll make a special theme page for you.

Joris

13. Bathsheba
    I'm sorry Joris, but this is not answering my question.

As I said above, the theme page is not a good solution if it is like your example. Your example theme page cannot be found by any reasonable search, and it is not linked anywhere. It also does not unclutter or improve the actual Shapeways shop, which _is_ found by searches and linked to.

Please tell me whether I may open additional shops on Shapeways to help with the categorizing problem. I can not upload additional models until this problem is solved.

Thanks!

14. joris
    joris Member
    OK,

I've checked it and in principle you could open a second Shop. It will be a bit confusing for us and the PayPal friends but it should work.

The functionality that you need should be ready in 30 days. This is much much later than we wanted it to be but we are working on a major update for the Shops and that will go live then.

Joris

15. 11539_deleted
    11539_deleted Member
    Hi,

I know it took us a while, but with the shop update of last Thursday you can:
    - Put your models in a particular order. You can do this on the 'edit my shop' page. This order is the default order in which the models of your shop are displayed when entering the shop
    - Define sections within your shop and categorize your models in your own defined sections. When visiting a shop that has sections defined and models in those sections, in the right column the sections will show. Clicking on a section will only show the models in that section. For now we only support one level.
    - As a visitor set how may results you want (rows of thumbs for the galery of thumbs or results in case of the gallery as list). This setting is kept within your browser session.

Kind regards, Arno

Last edited: Aug 10, 2009
  16. Whystler
    Whystler Member
    Thanks Arno :)

-Whystler

17. Bathsheba
    Thanks! The prices and ordering is great. The categories are better than nothing, though it would be nice to have levels.

I have two questions:

I tried a banner and now would prefer not to have one. But I can't remove it. Help?

The modeling ordering seems buggy: often my changes don't stick or the buttons don't seem to apply correctly. Particularly annoying is when it accepts the change but then displays an empty list. The models reappear when I reload the page, but with everything so slow it's an annoying extra step.

Onward and upwards!

18. joris
    joris Member
    Bathsheba,

Onwards and upwards indeed.

I'll see what I can do about the banner. Why don't you want one by the way? You don't like the look of the banner an sich? Too big?

I'll submit a bug report for the buggy ordering. What browser/OS do you have?

Joris

19. Bathsheba
    Vista Business/Firefox 3.0.13.

Yeah, banner is too big for my taste. It's a lot of screen for something that doesn't add information (my name and logo are already shown) or functionality. Also it would take a lot of time to design such a large image, that sounds like work. :-}

To be clear, I don't think there is a bug or anything wrong (other than that there's no way to remove it): I just personally prefer not to have it.

20. joris
    joris Member
    Allrights, I hope we can get back to you soon about how to kill the banner.