Please help with my choice of material

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by JensRenders, Jun 6, 2012.

1. JensRenders
    JensRenders Member
    Hi,
    I am making a key on shapeways and I have doubts about the material I should pick

This is the model: http://shpws.me/87dO

The problem is the little ladge that turns in the lock, this is only 1.9 mm thick...

so, if I print it in White strong and flexible there should be no problem printing it, but will it be strong enough to turn a lock?

and if i print it in stainless steel it will ofcourse be strong enough but will it be printed without breaking?

What do you guy's think?

2. Youknowwho4eva
    Youknowwho4eva Well-Known Member
    Check out the Stainless under 3mm rules to see if possibly it would be alright. Depending on how easy it would be to get broken 3D printed plastic out of the lock, I might consider a detail material. They are more rigid than WSF so they wont bend as easily, but they would break before WSF would.

3. JensRenders
    JensRenders Member
    I don't think the flexybility would be a problem, would it? is it that flexible? And do you think the key would not break when its printed in WSF?

4. Youknowwho4eva
    Youknowwho4eva Well-Known Member
    I don't know :p I know I've had flimsy keys in the past, It really depends on the lock. I think if the lock is too stiff, you could sheer the head of the key off. I don't know if turning the key would manipulate the teeth out of position either. I'd test it on a $5 lock before I'd try it on my car though.