pricing inconsistency??

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by 32752_deleted, Jun 1, 2012.

1. 32752_deleted
    32752_deleted Member
    I havent used shapeways in while, but today I uploaded some parts to get a rough estimate on a new project. I was going to have my project printed in sandstone (no color).

when I uploaded my 4 parts, the sandstone costs are Higher than STW, even though the material page says that sandstone should be about half the cost (.75 per CM3 for sandstone compared to 1.40 per CM3 for STF)

is this a glitch? or does pricing change for other reasons?

Michael

2. Youknowwho4eva
    Youknowwho4eva Well-Known Member
    Depending on the size, WSF (STW?) is only $1.50 handling fee per model, where FCS (Sandstone) is $3.00. So if your parts are around 2 cubic cm or less it would cost more in Sandstone than WSF.

3. 32752_deleted
    32752_deleted Member
    ah, this explains it.
    thank you! (and sorry for my typo)
    I caught it after sending as well.

4. Youknowwho4eva
    Youknowwho4eva Well-Known Member
    Not a problem, those that have been gone for a while won't be familiar with the handling and shipping now being separate from the material price

5. 32752_deleted
    32752_deleted Member
    actually, I went back, and now I am more confused.

I uploaded my original file, and WSF came out less than the sandstone.

I was trying to figure out what it could be other than the handling fee, as the model is quite large (11 inches x 8.5 x 3.75 at the widest parts)

then I mocked up something similar in primitives, to scale with the original, and compared materials in this model (sandstone and WSF)

this time sandstone prices came out where I would expect them in comparison to WSF from the price chart. (about 40% less)

what do you think this could be?

6. bitstoatoms
    bitstoatoms Member
    Hey there,

There is also a volume discount on models with a volume greater than 20cm3 and density higher than 10%. After the first 20cm3, the remaining volume is calculated with a 50% discount.

Hope this sorts it out for you.