Help getting this printed

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by humpmetwice, May 31, 2012.

1. humpmetwice
    humpmetwice Member
    Please does anyone see anything that will cause this model not to print?

Attached Files:

• qqe.stl

File size:
      3 MB
      Views:
  2. Youknowwho4eva
    Youknowwho4eva Well-Known Member
    What's the intended material?

3. stonysmith
    stonysmith Well-Known Member Moderator
    What Units are you going to use when uploading it?
    If you select Millimeters.. it's way too small. It would work in some materials if you pick Inches.

4. humpmetwice
    humpmetwice Member
    White, Strong & Flexible

5. humpmetwice
    humpmetwice Member
    so White, Strong & Flexible in inches would work?

6. Youknowwho4eva
    Youknowwho4eva Well-Known Member
    If your printing both pieces in one file, you'll probably need to separate them some more. I'm measuring .01" between the parts, and it's recommended to have a gap of at least .5mm to prevent fusing (or around .02 inches) Also notice some details that are measuring .02". This area's might be too long to be considered details, and may cause it to be rejected, as WSF requires .7mm (around .03") For details to be smaller, the length of the detail shouldn't be greater than the width. So it can be .02" wide as long as it's no more than .02" long. The only places I'm seeing this are in the back of the bottom piece so you could thicken them without it being really noticeable from the front. There are a couple odd spikes on the cheekbones that may need reducing, which I'm not sure if you intended to have spikes there anyway?

7. stop4stuff
    stop4stuff Well-Known Member
    The areas in the image below would probably be considered too thin to print in WSF.

yes.JPG

Grab yoursefl a free copy of NetFabb Studo Basic to measure your models so that you can be sure that they comply with your chosen material design rules.

8. humpmetwice
    humpmetwice Member
    Think I'm just about to give up!

9. stop4stuff
    Why?

Just adjust the thin areas and job done!

FYI - I adjusted your model to show correct sizes in NetFabb, but I work in mm so that's what I showed - it ain't rocket science to convert measurement units ;)

Anyhow, go check out https://www.shapeways.com/design-rules/stainless-steel-under- 3-mm , sometimes rules can be broken :D but for WSF under 0.7mm walls have the possibility of having parts break off during the print thus ruining the whole print run which still has to be paid for by Shapeways, so understandably Shapeways can be quite strict about their requirements to ensure your model is economically printable.

To summarise;
    Read the design rules for your chosen material.
    Use NetFabb Basic to measure your models.
    Adjust your model to comply with the design rules.
    Job done!

Edit:Spelling re-corrected (summarise had an 's', coz I'm proper English ;))

Last edited: Jun 2, 2012
  10. humpmetwice
    humpmetwice Member
    This is my latest attempt, please tell me this will print.

Attached Files:

11. stop4stuff
    Possibly, but there are still some thin areas, and if it does print, those thin areas will be very fragile.

maybe.JPG

Last edited: Jun 2, 2012
  12. humpmetwice
    humpmetwice Member
    I think this is my last attempt to get this printed unless anyone here is will to help. If willing to help please be reasonable with price. Thanks Kurt

Attached Files:

• eee.stl

File size:
      2.7 MB
      Views:
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2012
  13. mctrivia
    mctrivia Well-Known Member
    if you do not need it to be so small netfabb can blow it up by 50% which would definitely make it printable. I think you are close enough though that if you upload in inches and ask them to print it will get through.