Scale Comparisons?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by TylerAW, May 26, 2012.

1. TylerAW
    TylerAW Member
    Well I'm trying to design a 3d model for a ride, this would be for now just the car that people sit in and it would off course be a miniature ride.

Think of it like a car for a Dark Ride. But I want the car to be about the size in width of an iPhone Case by comparison. But in 3Ds max you cannot just design it that way and I have no idea what size to select when uploading.

Anyone have any ideas? The final model will be a bit complex but I have no idea how to tell the Shapeways upload tool to make it the proper scale.

This is all very new to me.

My Current Upload is "1.3 w x 0.6 d x 0.8 h inches" but I think that is far too tiny or am I wrong? It would help if in the preview it compared the size to something like a quarter or a phone.

Last edited: May 26, 2012
  2. stop4stuff
    stop4stuff Well-Known Member
    Hi TylerAW,

Welcome to Shapeways! :)

Grab yourself a free copy of NetFabb Studio Basic. Load your model into NetFabb. The measurements including surface area & volume of your model will be displayed in the Context Area. In the settings menu, you can change the units used (mm or inches). In the part menu, you can adjust the scale of the model. On Shapeways upload page select the same units of measurement as you used in NetFabb for your model to be the correct size.

NetFabb is also good for analysing & repairing models as well as checking measurements such as wall thickness.

Paul

Last edited: May 26, 2012
  3. TylerAW
    TylerAW Member
    Thank You!

But is there a model template maybe that shows things of various sizes to compare models by? Like the iPhone case I mentioned Can I get a download of one so I can make sure my model fits that size?

4. stop4stuff
    stop4stuff Well-Known Member
  5. Dragoman
    Dragoman Member
    Hmmm...

If you have problems visualizing the size of an object, why not do it the old-fashioned way? Grab a ruler or tape measure and go around your home measuring some small objects (boxes, jewelry, trinkets, toys) and see how they compare with the size of the Shapeways item.

Greetings
    Karl Heinz