MARIO 3D Printed Pixel Sprite Kit

Discussion in 'Feature this!' started by BITGEM, May 25, 2012.

1. BITGEM
    BITGEM Member
    After quite some experimentation all the parts fit and look like they were meant to. See the item here with instructions on how to assemble.

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 25, 2012
  2. MitchellJetten
    MitchellJetten Shapeways Employee CS Team
    Awesome!

next time a 3D version kit?

3. BITGEM
    BITGEM Member
    The full 3D sprite versions are here and here :)

4. wow this is really cool! should definitely get featured!

5. BITGEM
    BITGEM Member
    Thanks! :)

6. BITGEM
    BITGEM Member
    I made Luigi too now. He is up here.
    But unfortunately I will need to wait with printing him until I get back home... in 2 months!! That really sucks :/
    What sprite should I make next? :)

7. MitchellJetten
    MitchellJetten Shapeways Employee CS Team
    Ohh,ohh I know!!

The first famous Super Mario level :) will be a long sprite but still very recognizable :)

8. BITGEM
    BITGEM Member
    Ok... perhaps I will just provide the color palette for the level and people can build what ever they like with it ;).

9. It would be really cool if you made a co-creator where anyone could send you pixel art and you would make the model :)

That orrrr if you made the Final Fantasy 3 (FF6 in japan, i think) characters, I'd buy some!! Like GAU! :)

10. BITGEM
    BITGEM Member
    Cool! :) will look into the final fantasy sprites!

Have never done a co creator thing before... need to read up on how it works first. But it sounds like this would be well suited for it.

on another though... I wouldn't mind doing the Mario stage actually... if I get a free test print from Shapeways :)

11. hey mate
    if you do the first mario lvl + alot of free time + a webcam = stop motion video.

luigi looks great too !

another idea would be 'Minecraft' characters.....theres a big community out there.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2012
  12. BITGEM
    BITGEM Member
    Someone already did that with bead sprites.
    In the meantime I tried uploading a Street Fighter 3 Chun Li sprite
    [​IMG]
    But I suppose that will have to go back in the drawer for a while until technology catches up because it blew right past the hardware and software limitations and got rejected :) ... in any case, the price tag on that would have been astronomical.

Next up I will try FF6 GAU

Last edited: Jun 1, 2012
  13. BITGEM
    BITGEM Member
    Gau is done! You can find him HERE. He turned out to be made up of quite a few pixels more then the Mario sprite.

14. BITGEM
    BITGEM Member