Mesh medic error / Problem with model

Discussion in 'Materials' started by 171099_deleted, May 14, 2012.

1. Hi, what does this error mean and how can I fix it?

2. virtox
    virtox Active Member Moderator
    It probably means the model is too complex for the mesh medic/upload interface to properly interpret it.
    This can be caused by multiple technical factors.

What kind of model are you trying to upload?
    Does it have multiple shells/volumes and/or does it contain color?

If not color, you can try and see if this service can fix it for you:
    http://cloud.netfabb.com/

It usually does wonders for me on complex models.

Cheers,

Stijn

3. stop4stuff
    stop4stuff Well-Known Member
    It means you need to politly ask Shapeways Customer Services if they'd mind increasing the timeout on MeshMedic ;) The cause is mainly due to high poly multiple interlaced shells, e.g. 800k triangles on a 1000 ring chain maille piece :rolleyes:

4. Hi,

I went into netfabb and found that there were loads of red triangles which needed flipping which netfabb wasn't doing. I've had to go in manually and do it. Now when I uploaded one of the models I then got "calculation failed".

Do you know why that might be?

5. Hi,

I used the automatic repair function on netfabb and replaced the part. After this is all done I basically get the same issue as before - red spots all over the model. I've tried running the flip triangles script and I just can't get it to work.

Screen shot 2012-05-15 at 14.34.20.png

6. virtox
    I have merged your topics to keep things a bit tidy.

I am not very familiar with netfabb basic, so cannot help you with that, but did you try the netfabb cloud option?

Cheers,

Stijn

7. Yes I did, it couldn't repair it

8. virtox
    Hmm, sounds like the errors in the model are too complex for automated systems to fix them.

Perhaps someone can help you fix the problem closer to the source?
    What software did you use to create it?

Cheers,

Stijn

9. Poser then zbrush

10. stonysmith
    stonysmith Well-Known Member Moderator
    Send me the file via PM.
    I'll take a look.

11. Hey,

I would love to be able to PM you the file however it is about 60 mb large, i'll PM you a download link.

12. stonysmith
    You've got a massive amount of holes, particularly in the area of the mouth. I used NetFabb to close all the holes and it gave me a model that should be uploadable.

Your model includes separate meshes for the clothing apart from the body itself. There is also quite a bit of detail inside the mouth behind the mask.. teeth??? This is not necessary.. you should attempt to boolean together all the meshes so that you have only a single final mesh. That will drastically cut down your filesize, and help with some of the other issues you're having.

13. Hi yeah, in Zbrush the clothes are extracted from the mesh as seperate subtools, I then I simply merge them together, though I didn't realise that they were still seperate shells.

How did you close the holes? Did you use netfabb basic or professional? How would I boolean the meshes together in the most simple way?

Last edited: May 15, 2012
  14. stonysmith
    Netfabb Basic. Use both options "Close Trivial Holes" and "Close All Holes"