We want you - Shapeways Skillshare School

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by kevinweinewyork, May 14, 2012.

1. Hello Shapeways!
    If you could take a class about anything 3D-Printing related, what would it look like?
    Help me and all the instructors at the Shapeways Skillshare School match our course offerings with your requests.
    Reply to this post and tell us what interests you, and chances are you'll get to learn exactly what you want!

Here are a few ideas to help prompt a discussion:
    Simple software techniques vs. making complex forms?
    Rhino? Geomagic? Sketchup?
    Beginner, intermediate or advanced skills?
    Quick 2-hour classes or in-depth 3-day workshops?
    Lecture style or hands-on style?
    Daytime, weeknights or weekends?
    Around 10 students or 20 students or more in a class?

Thanks to everyone who replies, and thanks for helping make the Shapeways Skillshare School everything you want it to be.

Shapeways Skillshare School:
    https://www.skillshare.com/shapeways

UPCOMING CLASSES:

Wed May 16, 7:00-9:00p, NYC - Intro to Parametric Design & 3D-Printed Jewelry Section 1, Instructor Kevin Wei:
    https://skl.sh/Joi4t8

Mon Jun 4, 7:00-9:00p, NYC - Intro to Parametric Design & 3D-Printed Jewelry Section 2, Instructor Kevin Wei:
    https://skl.sh/JOas3j

Wed Jun 6, 6:00-8:00p, NYC - Intro to Design for 3D Printing with Shapeways, Instructor Duann Scott:
    https://skl.sh/HpHWbQ

2. abby
    abby Member
    Well that takes care of the customers who can get to New York , suppose the rest of the world doesn't matter !

3. It has to start somewhere, doesn't it?

4. aeron203
    aeron203 Member
    Hi Abby, I (Aaron Trocola) have classes scheduled on the west coast this summer, in both Los Angeles and San Fransisco. I now have three classes that cover a lot of material; you're certain find at least one of them interesting.

For Beginners I have the basic class which will give all the fundamentals, reviewing the tools and concepts to get you going, as well as providing lots of quality models and templates to learn with. This is the class where you will find out exactly which tools to use for whatever you're interested in making - jewelery, characters, scale models, etc. FYI - curriculum in the school varies with the instructor, so you will have to ask Duann what he has in mind for his similarly titled classes.

Design For 3D Printing With Shapeways, Instructor Aaron Trocola:
    Mon, Aug 4th in SF
    Sat, Aug 6th in LA

Following Those classes I have a new intermediate class where we'll take a look at mesh-modeling workflows and learn about two very useful areas of knowledge for 3D printing: Topological Subdivision Modeling (for creating those awesomely complicated truss-work math-art models), and working with color (both texture-mapping and face/vertex coloring). I'll share some great simple techniques to get you off and running making jaw-dropping prints.

Intermediate 3D Printing - Color and Complexity, Instructor Aaron Trocola:
    Sat, Aug 4th in SF

More experienced (or just ambitious) Shapers will be interested in my class with a focus on 3D scanning and reverse-engineering (making accurate CAD models that fit with or match real objects). I call it 3D Ninja Boot Camp.

3D Ninja Boot Camp, Instructor Aaron Trocola
    Sat, Aug 4th in SF
    Sat, Aug 6th in LA

These classes are back-to-back (with a break) at each location, so feel free to cram your brain.

More dates for these classes are coming up in NY, and will be posted soon. I am doing the west coast classes because I'll be there anyway for a conference. If anyone can stir up a crowd of more than ten (through your local hobbyist group perhaps) interested in more than one class, let me know and perhaps I'll post a date at your fun, interesting location.

I second Kevin's request for feedback. We at the Shapeways Skillshare School would like to know what would be most helpful for you.

Last edited: May 18, 2012
  5. abby
    abby Member
    Gee thanks , what would be most useful to me would be if the course was in Birmingham UK.

6. aeron203
    aeron203 Member
    There was a successful Shapeways meetup in London in April hosted by Bart Veldhuizen, who is a well established 3D modeling educator. If you were willing to make the treck down, and asked him nicely, he might set up a class there.

7. A Beginner class for those of us who are in between the different technology ages. I have several friends that love your jewelry and dream in your tools but feel afraid to sign up for a class. :confused
    Have A Great Day!
    Kaeleron

8. Anarkik3D
    Anarkik3D Member
    Abby,
    Or you could come to Edinburgh for one of our courses/workshop. I am a jeweller, now run a company that develop software for designer makers for 3D modelling and will be taking the courses.
    Information for our 'Create passionately, 3D print perfectly' Summer courses is on our website http://www.anarkik3d.co.uk/training and dates are:

29-30 June 2012: 1+ day Intensive (from 2 pm on 29th to 4 pm on 30th) £250
    26-28 July 2012: 3 Day intensive (9.30 am to 5.30 pm) - 2 places left. £550
    1-2 Sept 2012: 2 Day Comprehensive (9.30 am to 5.30 pm) £385

The software being taught is Anarkik3D's haptic Cloud9 which is aimed at those in the design/arts sector, non-CAD users who want to access 3D printing. Maximum of 5 persons per class for maximum attention. Contact email is a .m .shillito @ anarkik 3d .co .uk

Ann Marie Shillito

Mcor Flat set small.jpg

9. Anarkik3D
    Anarkik3D Member
    Hello Kaeleron,
    I don't know where you are in the world - we are based in Edinburgh, Scotland. Please see my response to Abby. Our software is designed for non-CAD users and with 3D touch is pretty intuitive and fun to use. Have a look at the videos on our website home page and the tutorial videos here http://www.anarkik3d.co.uk/tutorials

I am looking for feedback on all aspects about our software and the haptic device used with it to give sensation of touching your model .
    ~ Ann Marie Shillito

Globe_detail_small.jpg

10. Hi Kaeleron!
    Thanks so much for your message, and to all who have posted here!

At the moment all classes that I offer through the Shapeways Skillshare School are perfect for beginners, so please don't be afraid to sign up!

The hardest part is getting started, and I'm happy and excited to be your guide. 3D printing can be confusing, it can be difficult to use effectively, but I'll show you a way through it all that leads to extraordinary designs. I'm also really great at replying to emails - although a bit slow on the forums ;) - so I'll be accessible for all your future questions.

I really encourage you to take my Rings and Earrings class, and to get your friends involved as well! I also offer 1-night options (see the listing):

https://skl.sh/Loe1g8

Let's start learning!

Feel free to contact me directly (click on "Contact"):
    www.kevinwei.com

ALSO, how can I turn on email notifications so that I see all these awesome replies immediately in my inbox???

11. Youknowwho4eva
    Youknowwho4eva Well-Known Member
    Ann Marie Shillito,

Do you have any guides for printing from your software via Shapeways?

Kevin,

Awesome stuff! Hopefully I can check it out next time I'm in NY. For your notifications, you can go to any of your posts on this topic, hit edit, and under the File Attachments section there should be some check boxes. One should say "Post Notification - Notify me when someone replies to this message". You may have to do it to your first post.

Last edited: May 29, 2012
  12. Thanks Michael! I always have that box checked, but it turns out my email provider was blocking the notifications. Strange, but all is now fixed.

Kevin

13. Anarkik3D
    Anarkik3D Member
    Hello Kevin,
    Printing from our software via Shapeways: guides are more about designing a robust 3D printable model and methods to reduce cost. Using solid primitives as base for 3D modelling pose very few problems. Models are saved in .stl format, uploaded to Shapeways in size wanted and going from there.

14. Youknowwho4eva
    Actually, I'm Michael :laughing: I was also talking to Kevin in my post. I just wanted to make sure if your promoting your software, that it works with Shapeways :)

Last edited: May 29, 2012
  15. Anarkik3D
    Anarkik3D Member
  16. Youknowwho4eva
    No worries, let us know how the class goes! And if any other community members go (or if you recruit some new members) make sure they share any resulting prints!

17. Whatever you do, do video record the workshop, so people like us who are sitting half way around world can also learn something :)

You can always start online course as well.

18. That's a great idea. I should try to set that up in the near future. Thanks =)

19. Anarkik3D
    Anarkik3D Member
    We certainly intend to record in some way the workshops we will hold in summer and will put up links to generate more discussion about what people need. There was a bit early on, about the issue of geographic location (always a difficult one, more so for us and our classes based on our haptic software) and classes for beginners, for those of us who are in between the different technology ages - which our classes are perfect for! We will keep listening and address as many queries as possible - this is all in our interest!

20. aeron203
    aeron203 Member
    Hi!
    I've taught several introductory 3D modeling classes for Shapeways (and will post more soon). While the classes were not recorded, I have made YouTube tutorials covering the curriculum I was using at the time.

I have two exercises to get you started with a very simple, free program, Google Sketchup.

Interlocking Cubes

Customizing an iPhone case

I also have a three-part series that introduces three common tools: Meshlab, Sketchup, and Blender, then gives an example workflow for grouping together copies of a model with sprues to make a set (a common way of saving money and generally making everyones life easier using Shapeways).

Model Grouping for 3D Printing Part 1 - Meshlab

Model Grouping for 3D Printing Part 2 - Sketchup

Model Grouping for 3D Printing Part 3 - Blender

If you have any questions or requests about how to accomplish a particular task using 3D printing, let me know and I'll be happy to record a tutorial.