HIGH TECH GYROSCOPIC MODEL ROCKET

Discussion in 'My Work In Progress' started by lymanbishop, May 8, 2012.

1. lymanbishop
    lymanbishop Well-Known Member
    Fully Functional
    Tube launched
    Gyroscopic

Model Rocket

This rocket used a standard Estes D3 engine. Embedded within the nosecone and tailfins are a series of gryoscopes, driven by the force of moving air. Modeled after the Sidewinder missle.

Ive been flying model rockets for years and have never seen anything like this. Truly one of a kind.
    12x gyro rocket.png

2. bradykineticcuriosities
    bradykineticcuriosities Well-Known Member
    Intriguing...

So what is being 3D printed? The exterior, the gyroscopes, or both? Any concerns of precision vs. durability for the nose section?

I would be interested in seeing the wind driven gryoscopes in greater detail - in my day job I work with a bunch of powered ones...

3. lymanbishop
    Everything is 3D printed. SLS allows you to build parts within parts, so I have been able to integrate the gyros without post process assembly. Heres a closer look at the gyros in position. 12x gyro rocket front gyro.png

4. bradykineticcuriosities
    Very interesting - have you begun testing yet?

5. lymanbishop
    heres the tail fin gyro assembly
    i havnt tested this one yet, but i have tested similar ones. i will post video of this once i get it.

12x gyro rocket rear gyro.png

Last edited: May 8, 2012
  6. bradykineticcuriosities
    I'm now leaving 3D printing territory, but I have a couple of questions on the tail...

What thickness is the boundary layer on the tail sections when you are at cruising speed? What I see is a potential for decreased airflow if you are inside that envelope...

I'm not that familiar with rollerons, but would you have more of a roll correction when the gyroscopes are further from the central axis?

7. mctrivia
    mctrivia Well-Known Member
    would gyroscopes that light produce any significant stabalization?

8. lymanbishop
    Well find out soon. Parts have been ordered and I will test on arrival. Ill post a video on here of a few wind and flight tests. Ive been considering using steel add ons for the rear gyros to add weight. Ill find out if I need to after test. I will keep everyone posted.

Any other questions / comments?

9. mctrivia
    mctrivia Well-Known Member
    what material do you use? have you tried this already? I would think that WSF would be nice and light but flexibility and porousness would both be problems.

10. lymanbishop
    Its being made now in WSF .3125" thick in the tube. Im not worried about porousness, and due to its geometry I dont expect it to flex much. Keep in mind, standard model rocket tubes are made of thin cardboard. Im going for something a step stiffer. We shall see. Ill report back with photos and video shortly.

11. leorolph
    leorolph Member
    Hi
    that's a nice looking rocket.
    I recently designed and had printed a rocket in WSF, using an estes engine, i found that the estes c6 engine expanded enough to break the rocket as i believe the WSF material couldn't handle the engines heat too well, maybe aluminide would be better. and leave enough room for the expansion, probably just a mill or so. also the engine backfire melted the WSF .

the gyroscope system looks interesting, though what i have read about gyroscopes im not sure if they will make any difference to trajectory, they most probably will just create more drag, but it will be interesting to see:) good luck.