Golden Dice, less gold?

Discussion in 'My Shapeways Order Arrived' started by 1ko, May 4, 2012.

1. 1ko
    1ko Member
    After a test print, I ordered a dozen commemorative dice for my local Role playing games club.

I must say that I'm a bit disappointed by this new order.

First, the Gold finish looks between silver and real gold. Comparing to the first die I ordered, the color is clearly different.

dscn0022.jpg

I tried the polish finish. Due to the very detailed nature of the model I didn't expect much about this process. Actually it's really hard to distinguish the polished from the rough ones...
    But worst, the polished dice have small grains (like sand) stuck in the corners of the model. The bad thing is that this grains where there during the gold plating process, because of this, when I tried to carefully remove them, rough steel is visible in some areas where the gold was on the grains.
    grains.jpg

2. Youknowwho4eva
    Youknowwho4eva Well-Known Member
    I can say I've seen the grains before. They are support material, used in the baking process I believe. As for the other issues, email service@shapeways.com with order numbers, and images to get them looking into it.

3. stop4stuff
    stop4stuff Well-Known Member
    The grains are bits of the polishing medium (corn husk?), as Mike says get in touch with Customer Services.