Need to create a .wrl file from a 3DS file

Discussion in 'My Work In Progress' started by JoostDenissen1, May 2, 2012.

1. JoostDenissen1
    JoostDenissen1 Shapeways Employee CS Team
    Hi There,

I have a 3DS file (with color) that is unfortunately way to big to be printed in the material: full color sandstone. I want to rescale the model so it can fit in the printer but I don't know how I can do that. It's for a customer of mine.

Can someone please help me out with this problem!

Please contact me at joost@shapeways.com

I have attached the 3DS file. The maximum size of the model can not be bigger then: 250 x 380 x 200mm

Many thanks in advanced.

Joost

Attached Files:

2. stop4stuff
    stop4stuff Well-Known Member
    Hi Joost,

I took a quick look at your file, scaling is not an issue, just enter 0.006 as the scale factor in whatever software you use... what is the issue, is that at the size you want, some of the walls are below the spec for Shapeways design rules.

Also, as your model comprises of many shells, the colour infomations gets garbled on conversion to wrl, your best bet is to combine the shells first then colour the (single shell) model once the wall thickness issues are sorted out.

Paul

3. JoostDenissen1
    JoostDenissen1 Shapeways Employee CS Team
    Hi Paul,

Thanks for your reply.

May I ask if my customer can inform you (by email). I am not a designer so it's not really my ball game here.

This customer is also not the designer of the building but the person who has build it for him is not reachable anymore (lives in India)
    The 3DS file has colors but is way to big. When I rescale it and then save it as a .wrl file it takes all the colors away. I really don't know why that is happening.

Can I give him your email address!

Thanks in advanced.

Joost

4. Alex_ADEdge
    Alex_ADEdge Member
    Id suggest using netfab, it can be downloaded for free and shapeways even have a tutorial on it. You could look into Meshlab as well, meshlab is good for debugging whether textures are still working with your model (as far as Ive seen netfab doesnt display textures, only a solid model or wireframe)

Both programs are super easy to use, and display the size of the model in question so you know its the right size before youve even uploaded. Resizing/rotating is super easy as well of course.

Check out the link here - https://www.shapeways.com/tutorials/how_to_use_meshlab_and_ne tfabb

5. stop4stuff
    stop4stuff Well-Known Member

sorry, i have just got to :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

if you downloaded the file in the opening post, you would have seen just what a nightmare the model file is... mulitple shells and vrml just dont seem to get on one little bit... and forget NetFabb for sorting out ready coloured models, NetFabb only deals with shells - this is a manual job that I'm starting to wish I never agreed to :confused :( :cry: