cm3 costs

Discussion in 'My Work In Progress' started by 171193_deleted, Apr 29, 2012.

1. I'm very new to this, so I'm trying to understand...

When the costs are based on cm3, is it related to the volume of material used to make your design in cm3, or the total volume of your design?

Lets say I wanted to print a one gallon (hollow) milk jug to carry milk in... Since the volume of one gallon is over 3,000 cm3, then my milk jug printed in WSF is going to cost over $3,000?

Any help is appreciated.

Thx,

Johnnyo97

2. CharGyse
    CharGyse Member
    When it's based on cm3, it will be the volume of the material, not the volume of the bounding box. That's why they suggest hollowing it out to make it cost less - hollowed objects use up less material.

It works slightly differently for materials that have discounts for high density objects or something, but I haven't read too much about that so I'll leave that area for someone else to explain... lol

3. TomZ
    TomZ Member
    A cube 13 cm to an edge has a volume of about one gallon, and it would indeed cost about $4500 to print. However, if we hollow out the same cube to have 0.5cm thick walls, the volume becomes 13^3-12^2=469cm3. That would "only" cost you $700 to print. If we reduce further to 2mm walls (which is practical for most materials) the cost is only $300. This is quite reasonable for something so large as that milk jug you're describing.
    So it depends on the actual volume of material consumed in the model, not the size of the bounding box. One gallon is an awful lot of material.

4. Phxman
    Phxman Member
    A US Gallon is 3785cc, which would be 15.58cm³.

Nearer to 4000, than 3000 cc.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2012
  5. stannum
    stannum Well-Known Member
    So a quart is less than 4 cm³. ^_^

6. Phxman
    Phxman Member
    No: with a Gallon we are dealing with Volume, not Area.

A quart would be 3785cc/4

OR -
    (15.58 x 15.58 x 15.58)/4

= 946.25cc

OR:-

³√(946.25)

= 9.82cm³

Last edited: Jul 6, 2012
  7. stannum
    Just like a Mm (megametre) is not the same than mm (milimetre), how things are written matters. A volume of 15cm³ is the same than 15 cubes, each of 1cm of side. A cube with side 15 cm is 3375 cm³ always, or 3.375 dm³ or 3.375 l or many other equivalents, but never 15 cm³.

8. Phxman
    Phxman Member
    Agreed: How things are written does matter

In the parsing:-
    15cm³ is 15cm cubed. (15 x 15 x15) :- is your "3375"

15cc (cubic centimeters) :- is your "15 cubes"

This is accepted Internationally for volumes in packaging.

In the calculations, a quart is clearly not less than 4cc, nor
    is it a straight division by 4 of 15.58, which is cubed.

I am sorry, but the point you are making is lost on me.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2012
  9. stannum
    15/4 was about seeing if you noticed the error, completly bogus.

15 cm³ is 15 cc and 15 ml. 3375 cm³ is 15³ cm³, as well as 3375 cc, etc. Basic maths/physics, if you take the cubic root of a magnitude, the units also go in the operation. ³√(3375 cm³) = 15 cm. You can never get cm³ from that.

If you want to write a "cube of 15 cm" (no ³ anywhere), fine, but if you ask for a "cube of 15 cm³" to anybody doing physics properly, he will give you a tiny cube (a cube with sides of ~2.47cm).

By your logic, a 20 m³ shipping volume is a very big cube, when in reality if fits in a typical container.