The Seed of Yggdrasil, Celtic knot sculpture

Discussion in 'My Shapeways Order Arrived' started by joabaldwin, Apr 21, 2012.

1. joabaldwin
    joabaldwin Member
    Here is the new 3D sculpture I created, titled The Seed of Yggdrasil. The design is based on the classic Celtic-style knot symbol for the tree of life from Norse mythology, Yggdrasil.

You can find it in my store too:
    https://www.shapeways.com/model/521177/7f969b15c11072e7395357 a8dcc7e531

seed_table.jpg
    seed_cat2.jpg
    seed_cat1.jpg
    seed_hand.jpg

I created the seed sprout in the center, and inside the leaves you can see a small sphere of blue. If you look reaaally carefully, you could notice that the continents in the blue ball are in the shape of Pangea and not our current distribution.

The texture is amazing, the little ridges from the 3D printing process give it a very natural and tactile feel, and the colors are really vibrant. And the cat didn't care at all.

2. arklan
    arklan Member
    oh, very cool.

3. stop4stuff
    stop4stuff Well-Known Member
    Wow!

The awesome sauce escaped again!

4. CharGyse
    CharGyse Member
    Wow, that looks really nice. The vibrant colours make it look almost juicy to me! I can imagine it growing.

5. Outstanding, beautiful piece. I've added it to my wishlist for my next order.

6. Silverbeam
    Silverbeam Well-Known Member
    lovely design! would love a wsf and other material options though, I don't mind painting myself.

7. joabaldwin
    joabaldwin Member
    Hey Silverbeam, thanks! I made white and white polished available for you. If you need any others let me know and I'll make them available, I just like to keep the options limited to the best materials for the design so that people don't get confused when ordering.

8. davidramirer
    davidramirer Member
    looks great!
    congrats!

david